Luque who’s talking now!

By on Jul 30, 06 03:36 PM

Albert LuqueWith Newcastle United yet to add another striker to their books this summer it has to be said the behaviour of £9.5million striker Albert Luque lately has been extremely interesting.

The former Deportivo la Coruna and Real Mallorca man netted over 50 goals in Spain’s La Liga but struggled badly to make an impact on Tyneside last term.

Dogged by injury, a loss of form and problems learning the English language - often relying on Nobby Solano as a translator - Luque at times looked a broken man on Tyneside.

He didn’t help himself when he left the field at the City of Manchester Stadium laughing and joking with Kiki Musampa in the final game of the Graeme Souness era as United were drubbed 3-0.

But it appears that Luque is fighting for another chance.

Netting at Sunderland during the fabulous 4-1 win on Wearside last season certainly did him no harm.

And after following it up with a great volley against Celtic at Gallowgate in Alan Shearer’s testimonial he at least headed for Spain with positive thoughts in his head.

Two goals in as many games during the pre-season period, against Lillestrom in the Inter’Toto and now PSV Eindhoven in Saturday’s friendly, have actually taken his tally to four goals in his last four games - but he still has much to prove to the Geordie public.

Luque says he will be a “different player� this term - and he has even masterminded some English - but the question is will it be in a black and white shirt?

With Roeder still keen to add to his frontline before the Premiership season kicks off and Shola Ameobi also displaying decent form, both at the end of last season and this pre-season, Luque could well find himself on the bench by the time Wigan arrive in Toon.

At almost £2.4million a goal (Friendly goals shouldn’t really count) Luque knows he has yet to show his full value.

But with the clock ticking towards the transfer deadline next month, can Luque somehow turn things round in a black and white shirt and force his way into the team?

Over to you Alberto!

MikV said:

The jury is still out, isn't it. But the thing is, we've already taken the risk by spending nearly 10 million on him. From what I've seen of him in his last few games, and from the feeling I have that Glen Roeder is the sort who can get the best out of his players, I would have given him the number 9 shirt instead of the number 7 (wouldn't you have thought that Scott Parker would have had number 7? Closest we've had to Rob Lee for a long time). Selling Luque now would be a big mistake. I think he could just turn out to be an absolute gem!

M.G from Iraq said:

I really think Luque is a great player. Ive seen him play with Deportivo and he is very talented. I think Roeder knows the Talent the spaniard has and thats why he is giving him another chance. If injuries stay away from him I think Luque will be a great asset this season. Mark my words, we will see a lot of skilful goals from Luque this season.

Ron Jones from Malaga, Spain said:

I had the misfortune of watching Luque play for Malaga (on loan) for two seasons a couple of years ago and he was a disaster.
My Spanish friends were rolling about laughing when they heard how much we paid for him. I will be amazed if he proves a success for us and his ineffective first season was not a surprise to me.

Phil said:

definetly rooting for luque this season, watching his goal reel of his goals in la liga, he has real class! suffered a major hamstring tear, worst of his career when coming here and i think he will prove to be worth his 10 million!

wayne said:

Well i would say luque is a pretty decent player. So far we have only seen flashes of what he can do. If he is able to perform consistently, he might not be the flop like last season after all. However he is not the striker that we need at the moment. I hope Glenn Roder brings in someone fast. If not be prepared for another struggle this season

mary said: