Duffer back in business

By Lee Ryder on Jan 29, 07 09:38 AM

Damien DuffNewcastle United may not have signed any big names during the transfer window so far but the re-emergence of Damien Duff will be like, as we are sure to hear soon by pundits far and wide, signing a new player for Glenn Roeder.

Since Duff arrived from Chelsea in the summer the Irish winger has only shown us glimpses of what he can do.

Duff has yet to find his best form and like many others this season the only thing he's come across so far is injury woe.

But are we about to see exactly why he is rated so highly throughout the football world?

Duff will be the first one to admit he was playing below par before his knee injury at the Emirates Stadium cut short his season.

Yet the excitement on Tyneside the day he signed back in the summer for £5million wasn't for nothing.

And Toon fans everywhere just can't wait to see the gung ho figure Duff was at Blackburn and at times Chelsea.

Duff was admired for the ability to get his head down and run at defenders causing havoc.

It's a style Kevin Keegan would have loved in his team.

And it's a style United supporters will be hoping he gets back to.

Perhaps, like Oba Martins, Duff's settling in period at St James' Park is coming to an end and we will now see exactly what the Irishman can do.

Indeed speaking today Duff said: "Newcastle fans certainly haven't seen the best of me and it's been a very frustrating two months.

"Even when I was playing before my injury I wouldn't say I was at my sharpest.

"I didn't really have a pre-season and it's only when I look back now that I realise I maybe was a yard off the pace.

"But I'm working hard to get back to my best and I'm sure the fans will see that."

Let's hope it starts against Aston Villa on Wednesday night eh?

oxboy said:

Just musing over our latest declared transfer policy of buying young, improving players who will show their worth in two years time.
Which area did Duff fit into? Must be the two years time bit. So guys, on that basis don't go to games or renew season tickets for two years cos Glen aint bothered until then.

ZORRO said:

oxboy...WAT PLANET ARE YEE ON...Y SAY STUFF LIKE THAT...I TAKE IT YOUR A "1 GAME A SEASON VISITOR" TO THE TOON...DUFF IS A CLASS PLAYER..AND HES FITTING IN WELL TO ROADERS PLANS...YA NA THINGS TAKE TIME, AND IF YA HAVE PATIENTS...GOOD THINGS FOLLOW...SO STOP BEING A PLASTIC FAN AND SORT YA SELF OOT MAN.....TOON 4 LIFE UP OR DOON...ILL STAND BY THE TOON.

Muzzi said:

He's been awful this season, was devasted that he didn't go to spurs. Zogbia is world class compared to duff even with his form this season.

oxboy said:

Muzzi, perhaps if you listened to the comments of the manager of YOUR team you may understand the two year reference. Obviously you are not the kind to let information get in the way of ignorance.

oxboy said:

ZORRO said:

WELL WELL...CAN ANY1 COMPLAIN ABOUT DUFF TODAY...ERR....NO!....HE PLAYED VERY WELL LAST NITE...CONSIDERING HES JUST GOT BACK FROM INJURY...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DUFF..AND PROVE THESE PLASTIC FANS WRONG...UP OR DOON I,LL STAND BY THE TOON ...4 LIFE.