http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/

Roeder laughing all the way to the Bank!

By Lee Ryder on Mar 14, 07 05:45 PM

Lee Ryder reports from Alkmaar - the cheese capital of Holland!

Glenn Roeder today revealed that Newcastle United don't need to score to cash in at the DSB Bank Stadium tomorrow night in the UEFA Cup.

The Toon boss looked confident as he overlooked a training session at the 17,000 seater Dutch stadium and faced the English and Dutch media.

Watching from the stands was England cricketer and Toon fanatic Steve Harmison who has made the trip to Alkmaar for the crucial clash.

Yet Roeder knows he won't need a cricket score to get through.

iHe said today: "We don’t need to score 0-0 will do very nicely.

“People say we need to score – we don’t."

Meanwhile Louis van Gaal continued to play mind games with United by insisting Newcastle have a 60% chance of going through and his own side 40%.

Yet Roeder refused to bite.

He simply replied: "I don't see the point in estimating football scores, it is a nice pastime but my job is to win football matches.

"We don't fear anybody, I find it a useless emotion.

"We come here to attack and we will."

For some Toon fans they made the trip to Amsterdam today at the third time of asking with two KLM flights cancelled yesterday due to the fog just here over the North Sea.

However, as the fog lifted this morning, many hope that it will be a night to remember here in Holland.

United fans have good memories of Rotterdam and Craig Bellamy's winner against Feyenoord on a dramatic night in the Champions League as well as the 1-0 win over NAC Breda more recently.

It's make or break though for United and the Toon Army with the game poised at 4-2.

For many they just cannot wait for the action to start on the pitch and put the mind games back in the box.

And with Van Gaal and Roeder both putting up good displays in the Press Conference, it's now on to the important stuff on the field.

3 Comments

Steve Wraith said:

There Will be a chance to meet and hear the views of Bryan 'Pop' Robson at FLUID bar in Newcastle at half time. Admission FREE

Genghiz H Sengul said:

Very interesting. Roeder is going with Butt and Parker in the middle. Why not? If it aint broke don't fix it. Although it would be nice to see Emre factor in this one. Emre and Martins played for a few years at Inter and Emre is a top player. But I like how Roeder doesn't panic and displays nerves of steal.

Profile

Lee Ryder

Lee Ryder - Proudly born and bred on Tyneside, the Chronicle's chief sports writer has followed the fortunes of the club over the last three decades as a Toon fan and football writer.

Latest Premier League video

Video

Email alerts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

In association with

ESPN

Follow my RSS feed

Twitter

Follow me on

Lee Ryder's Twitter

Categories

Sponsored Links