Newcastle fans are miserable for a good reason

By Lee Ryder on Dec 23, 07 09:25 PM

Mark VidukaA VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL CHRONICLE AND BLOG READERS!

Even the Derby fans were chanting how bad they were during Newcastle United's latest twist in a season which still promises nothing but inconsistency and mid-table mediocrity - unless something changes dramatically.

In fact Derby fans were ridiculing us because they were that bad and they'd still taken four points from six from us, which makes up a big bulk of their dismal tally of seven!

It would be easy to come out with lots of seasonal flavoured phrases and try to make a joke out of things but this is well beyond that.

It's five games in a row we've handed the visitors the lead now and it's actually quite amazing that we have 26 points in the bag.

Derby will go down this season, possibly before April, and we couldn't raise our game to beat a side that have been leaking goals left, right and centre.

It was no surprise that Toon fans I spoke to afterwards had nothing positive to say and everyone who wasn't was taking the Micky out of me.

I'm not even going to search for a positive right now because drawing 2-2 with that lot shows how bad we were.

OK, we did have that spell at the end of the first half but the fact we wasted it and then handed Derby the lead on a plate shows we aren't learning from mistakes.

We just cannot seem to stop conceding silly cheap goals.

I guess whether you like it or not - it is going to take time and we are going to have to patient.

Well enjoy the Turkey and the many packets of socks we are all about to receive and then pretend to look delighted about!

Because even the predictability of Christmas day will be more entertaining and rewarding than the visit of the Rams.

I know, I'm a misery - but do you blame me after that?

The Louvin Brothers said:

Disgraceful performance. Derby cheated throughout, ably assisted by a lacklustre ref, but they didn't need to and all but the usual knuckleheads in the crowd could see that. Barton was caught napping too often and looks a poor replacement for Parker. Martins was sub-Shola; in fact, he was appalling. Was his mind on the African cup or Monday night in Tiger Tiger? Who knows, but it certainly wasn't on the job he's paid to do. Rozenhal was out to lunch and Cacapa wasn't much better. Charlie ain't a left back. I see some of the crowd got excited at Duff's return. Short memories or what? I'll give him time and hope for the best. Full marks to Viduka for sticking in. Smith tried, but, alas, he just doesn't have the skill. Why on earth did FS leave Emre on the bench until there were only 16 minutes left? He's the one player we've got who has the potential to change the nature of the game.

Rob Hillcox - Australia said:

Well well what a load of crap.This has to be the worst TOON side for along time.Derby took 4 points out of 6,if we hadnt got the points early on in the season we would be relegated by now.SA you have to go. Its shameful watching.Man U WILL be in double figures playing us.If SA is not sacked within the next 3 games BECAUSE we will not get any points i will be very suprised.I for one being an x pat, his idears are not suited to the style we know we can play.Its going to be very bleak new year on Tyneside next year.

gazza said:

Allardyce is a joke. Not a clue . How he has the nerve to say he's happy we're unbeaten just astounds me. Last few games we've been lucky to get anything out of them . He has to go, does anyone remember who we are, have we forgotten.Are we happy to see this rubbish week in week out and be happy with the stuff he puts out.We deserve better, don't let anyone tell you "as long as we get results it doesn't matter how we play", that is totally wrong and not what Geordies want. We're Geordies, we know how football should be played, we love the game the way it's meant to be played, Keegan and Robson must find this stuff unbelievable !
Haway the Lads and lets get a decent manager.

James 09 said:

LEE - a couple of questions I thought you (and others) might ponder whilst taking the maddening frustration out on that poor doomed turkey - I mean that literally, not Derby.

In your blogs, why not attempt to, at least partly, EXPLAIN this "misery"?? You haven't got an opinion on Allardyce's season of playing guys out of position?? His approach to away games?? The almost complete lack of decent football so far??

For me, this really is a biggie - Can you really see anything changing (let alone) "dramatically" with Allardyce?? I certainly can't as the evidence so far would suggest absolutely nothing to the contrary. He has persistently and stubbornly continued with "my way" - it hasn't worked well for the ENTIRE season. For that reason, I completely agree that "it's actually quite amazing that we have 26 points in the bag." Perhaps this is why Mort and Ashely are approaching Allardyce's spending plans with more than a little caution. I fully endorse that approach.

I'll repeat only this from my entry to your match report:

Allardyce - HANG YOUR STOCKING IN SHAME

Ryder's reply: James your questions answered.

EXPLAIN this "misery"??
Do I really need to explain why everbody is miserable after Newcastle have failed at the second attempt to beat a side that will be relegated by March? Is it not obvious why people are down in the dumps that we can't beat a side that have seven points, four of them picked up against NUFC?

Yes I have now you ask.
He is playing N'Zogbia at left-back because so far Jose Enrique has failed to live up to his reputation from La LIga but in my opinion Charles was one of the better players against Derby, especially in the first half.

His approach to away games??
If you read the Fulham match review that should answer your question.

The almost complete lack of decent football so far??
Like every other Geordie I would love to see more decent football.
But at the end of the day winning football is what I would prefer to see and generally the stylish football comes after teams have go their confidence following a good run.
I don't think Everton have played much good football in the last couple of seasons, far from it, but here they are still in Europe, ahead of us in the table and still in both domestic cups.
I'm sure you'd take that ahead of crisp pretty little passes. And while I agree entirely the football has been abject at times - if you look at the Ossie Ardiles era we played superb passing football but it almost got us relegated, almost put us out of business.

That all depends on how much money he gets to spend during the transfer window, but there have already been noises it may not be much. I hope that isn't the case.

Peter Harper said:

The most frustrating part of life is to have a problem but to be unable to do anything about it.
Sam Allardyce has that problem borne out of a limited football tactical vocabulary.He knows only one way-that's it -my way or no way.
We, as Newcastle supporters have a problem. We have identified, quite correctly in my opinion, Sam Allardyce's shortcomings, weaknesses, inabilities- call them what you will, and however much we talk about it there is absolutely nothing we can do to put it right.
I fully understand the logic and reasoning in not rushing to sack a manager but the bottom line is Allardyce is a spoofer.All of the dressing room know this and that's why there is so much unrest.
This season is, to all intent, now over.I hope Ashley is working behind the scenes to secure the services of a manager for next season.I am sure I am speaking for all of the Toon supporters when I implore Ashley to ensure that we do not have to endure this rubbish next season.
Allardyce most probably will get one more premier club to employ him and then he will be consigned to the lower reaches having been exposed as a fraud (football ability wise).
In conclusion we would like to inform Mr Ashley that we like to see football played as it was meant to be played-with the emphasis on technical ability allied to an attacking mindset supported by a strong and skilful defence.There is that old saying and it is so ,so true."The Best Form Of Defence Is Attack"
Is there a God? Is Keegan, Shearer, MacDermott really a possibility? The thought makes my mouth water.
Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year to everyone. Special Xmas thoughts for Sir Bobby Robson.

Joseppie said:

You can only see doom & gloom for the future. I mean, come on lads at least try and put some effort in your play. It's as though you just can't be bothered,

We can't beat the worst side in the premier league, so what chance have we got. Merry Christmas every one

john low fell said:

The writing was on the wall in letters that are too big to describe when Allardyce bought Alan Smith. The players effort courage and commitment are thera for all to see but for Allardyce to build the 'character' of the team on a player who is so crude, inept and disruptive in his reading of the game, is a tragic and expensive mistake. Allardyce has to see this, he must DROP SMITH NOW and move on, PLEASE !!

Gerry said:

I don't have a clue what to think. On paper we are higher in the table than we have been for a while, and we are unbeaten in 4 games. If you look deeper though, we have big problems. Our matches against the bottom 5 so far:

Derby - 2 shocking tactical displays, one point gained. We don't deserve any more than that, and that is the worst aspect of all.

Wigan - 1 lucky late win, and god only knows what we're in for on Boxing Day.

Sunderland - Poor performance, lucky to get a point.

Fulham - Poor performance, a better team would have beaten us, yet we somehow scraped a lucky late win.

Birmingham - As above, only slightly less damning.

Good teams, by and large, have managed to take advantage of our complete lack of invention, seizing the initiative, and putting our defense under unnecessary pressure. If players are in the wrong positions, and complimented by players whose passing skills are average at best, then what happens? The ball keeps coming back to the defense, who lest we forget are mostly trying to adapt to Premiership football as a unit. No wonder they're cracking under the pressure.

Examples include: Pompey at home, Liverpool at home, City away, Reading away etc etc etc. Two teams we've beaten have sacked their managers straight after, what does that tell us? That teams expect to beat us, and that they need to be woeful for us to get anything. Remember, we've only played 2 of the big 4 so far, and even they were at home..

I really hesitate to say SAM OUT, but what else can I say? Having read quotes from earlier he genuinely seems to think that Milner is better on the left. Sure he puts the effort in, but he doesn't exactly have a killer left foot does he? His cutting inside slows attacks down, allows defenders to get back, and is predictable.

Another nugget from Sam is that apparently Arsenal haven't used wingers, and neither have Brazil. Well that's all very well, but who do Arsenal have in the centre of midfield? Oh yeah, Fabregas. Who do Brazil have? Kaka. Who do we have? No one, apart from Emre. Who isn't even being used. Last time I checked Butt, Smith/Geremi, and Barton aren't exactly brimming with that sort of creativity.

Last but by no means least, he denies suggestions that he has been playing safety first football. What?? Before every game he talks about "containing" the opposition, and THEN focusing on our attacking strengths. Yet we can't seem to even do that against Derby...

I don't want to be calling for Sam's removal, but what else is there? The only success we get is either through good fortune, or when Sam wakes up halfway through the match and throws Emre on. If he looked like learning from these mistakes, then I'd give him the time, but he doesn't. Six months isn't a lot of time, but look what Sven did in six months. Even with Spurs, we can see progress being made. Hell, look at Bolton! Megson came in, and now they look to be heading to safety. With our fixture list, we should be in the top six at least. Add 5 Derby points and we're above Everton. That's how kind the computer has been to us, and how shite the league is. I might get stick for saying this, but with players in the right positions, and some basic tactical knowledge we would be Europe-bound.

gav said:

unfortunately yesterday i didnt get to go to the match or watch the match on the tele i have only seen highlights on a website so im not gonna attempt to analyze what went wrong with the game, all i can assume is that what i am reading and hearing that the phrase we were shockingly bad is true . i was looking forward to getting a good result from yesterdays game like many of us but again in typical newcastle united style we fall at the first hurdle . we should have absouloutly hammered derby county on our home ground we should have had just revenge from the shocking defeat we suffered down there but we continue to break the record books again for all the wrong reasons , its now about time when we say to big sam change your game or lose your job , his stubborn stance on doing it his way clearly isnt working his tactics are wrong his team choice is wrong it all seems just wrong . Yet he has no problem conjouring up positives from a game we should have won , i think when you say that derby are at the bottom of the premier league and there for a good reason and we could only muster a feeble point from them at home there is no positives to take from that . we are a passionate club we have a passionate fan base and we are a passionate city , of course things arent going to change over night but on these reapeat performances things arent going to change at all ... all the pundits wonder why we still live in the keegan era , its because it far better to dream about good football than to deal with the morbid reality of the football being served up this christmas

James 09 said:

Lee - appreciate your response.

You've got me wrong on the first. I meant why not try to account for Newcastle's consistently bad performances this term - of course that's why we're miserable - but WHY are the bad performances consistently occurring? For instance, is it really the lack of time this squad has had together, is it that some of Allardyce's buys (or other present players) aren't good enough or is a great deal of the season down to Allardyce and his staff?? I think it's a mixture but Allardyce has certainly been well below par so far.

In regard to Enrique - I'd love to see any football player live up to their reputation when they aren't being given a chance to do so. The very little I've seen of him hasn't been great, much like Rozehnal and Geremi. But unlike the latter two, the kid has hardly been given a chance to live up to his reputation !!!

I'm not for a moment saying bang Enrique into LB and play Zog and Milner on their wings and then WHAM watch us fly into Europe and beyond. A rather large problem of defensive incompetence still reigns supreme.
What I am saying is that our football just has not and is not working so why doesn't he try out some basics like playing players in their positions. Utilise the strengths of THIS squad and stop treating it like your previous and very different squads.

Of course I would rather winning over attractive football - but we are simply struggling to beat very average sides. We've lost so easily to the likes of Reading and Derby!! You wouldn't catch me complaining say under Capello, Mourinho, or Hitzfeld (slightly better pedigree to Allardyce there aye) when we wouldn't be playing electric stuff but I would literally bet my right arm we would be polishing off the likes of Brum, Reading, Fulham, Sunderland and errr....certainly Derby.

Sid said:

We keep being told we need to give managers time, and I agree with that philosophy.

However, yesterday I was left asking - how much time does a manager need to get players, some with fees in their careers of £10m plus, to gel together well enough to beat a side like Derby??

At Bolton, players responded to tactics of annoying and suffocating opposition from bigger clubs with more resources.

I think the problem is that our players are used to being at the clubs with the big resources, not underdog, so it does not work here as it did at Bolton to kill the game off first.

Additionally, if you don't play your big English centre half against their big English Centre forward, you can't then come out with the comment 'we couldn't handle their big centre forward', unless you are Big Sam of course. Horses for courses, Sam....put Taylor in against their big Geordie striker - you don't need a FA coaching badge to work that one out!

And I won't ask why Emre was on the bench in a game where we would be expected to make the play...?

Stefan Smith said:

We cannot seem to appoint a decent manager these days. Sam's management skills are disgraceful and embarassing. He is playing the wrong players. The best players are playing out of position.The midfields a joke. N'Zogbia should be playing on the left. Emre should always be in the first team. Were going to end up losing him in January if were not careful. Butt,Smith and Geremi are hopeless. I'd sign 1 centre back, 1 expensive Central Midfielder and a half decent striker, i.e. Trezeguet. Juninho at Lyon would be a good addition in midfield. Peter Luccin is a fast creative player. Got too many slow players in the centre of the field. Taylor and Cacapa are good enough Centre Backs but we need another. The players we have got are not bad at all. Just need to play to their full potential and need to be put in the right positions.

Sean K said:

Lee, how can you say Jose Enrique has 'failed to live up to his La Liga reputation'.

The lad has barely played a game for us! How can he be judged on that?!

Did Chelsea drop Drogba when he had a average at best first season in the PL?

Liverpool and Real Madrid wanted Jose Enrique! But he came to us, and the gratitude shown, is a place on the bench if he is lucky, pathetic by SA yet again.

Derby have 2 slow centre halves, so why didn't Mr Sam 'tactical genius' Allardyce play the pace of Martins? Instead of the immobile Smith?

Martins looked rubbish, for the simple reason, he is NOT a right winger! I mean for crying out loud, how demotivating do you want to get?

Don't give me this 'pride in the shirt' rubbish, if you play someone out of position completely, they are not gonna be any good.

Do you think Ronaldo would be any good in Goal? No.

Do you think Gerrard would be a good left back? No.

It's the same old story, Sam Allardyce should never have been appointed as manager, and he should be sacked now along with the comical backroom staff and 'worldwide scouting network' he has in place, that have linked us with the likes of El Hadju Diouf.

Oh, and for sheer comedy value, check out Nigel Pearsons after match view on the BBC site,

"We had to scrape by with a injury time... was it injury time? Or 4 minutes from the end or whatever"

What on EARTH is going on? How can the guy not know when the goal was scored does he not watch the match?! The 'Whatever' comment also shows to me he couldn't care less.

Jokers the lot of them.

Mike Ashley, Chris Mort take note;

GIVE US A CHRISTMAS PRESENT
GET RID OF SAM ALLARDYCE AND ALL BACKROOM STAFF NOW!!!

Ryder's reply: In response to your question regarding Enrique

Jose Enrique - The question was why is Charles N'Zogbia playing left-back and that was because Jose Enrique is clearly having problems adjusting to the Premier League or the English lifestyle, I don't think he was written off by myself - but at £6million and going into January, are the fans not entitled to a few decent games?
I think they are but he wouldn't be the first overseas player that hasn't settled in well here would he?

Malcolm Rynn said:

Already the writing is on the wall for Wigan. Big Sam has publically stated that we do not need to go chasing for goals so basically we are in for another tepid load of old rubbish. The one and only time he played Milner and Nzogbia in their correct positions was against Bolton and we were 3 up after about 25 minutes. His team selections, tactics and substitutions are a bad as Souness and Roeder I cannot see how this is going to get better with the coaching staff we have at he present.

Boddi said:

What really gets to me is that everyone sound almost apologetic for wanting Big Sam out of this club?

He's paid a very, very good wage to do a job that he doesn't seem to be able to do.

I really want to have a manager at the club for 5 or 10 years, even longer. I understand the need for stability but who are we backing here??

His so called tactics are so predictable and unefective, that every team in this league can compete quite comfotabley with us. And the above comments saying he likened his tactics to Brazil or Arsenal......is he on day release??

He has to go and without any regrets.

Big Sam himself has on 2 occasions now dragged one of his defenders off the pitch for making a mistake....sometimes a single mistake. Enrique has been dropped for not being the new Roberto Carlos within 4 games. Did he have time?? Or the chance to recover from a mistake??

So Big Sam is showing everyone else the way and proving that he believes people shouldn't be given time to get their jobs right and if they make a mistake it should be punished immediately.

Thanks for showing us the way Sam, hopefully Mike will be writing out a P45 for you as we speak!!

One of the worst managers I can rememeber at St James Park. No improvement on Roeder who at least wasn't taking millions off us in wages!

Football is an entertainment business. What we are watching this season isn't entertainment. I can watch that sort of football on a Sunday afternoon for free on any local field.....sorry, thats unfair to Sunday League Football.

P' Off and let our club move forward playing football and beating teams through passion and creativity....the way it's supposed to be!

Anonymous said:

Question, when have we seen Newcastle play well for 90 minutes against any team this season? Answer, against Arsenal was the only one of note, forget the Spurs and Bolton results, history tells us those two teams were playing rubbish at that time anyway. How much longer must we suffer managers and players excuses for failure at this club? We were rubbish AGAIN yesterday, the players big Sam has brought in are rubbish. Of course he will say give them time, rubbish! Sven got his new players bedded in months ago and look where Man city are now. Barton, Smith and Butt playing in the same team does not work, there is no flair from them. Yet Emre sits on the bench, and Zog is at fullback???? Come on Sam, sort yourself out.

Anonymous said:

I REALLY WANTED TO GIVE BIG SAM A CHANCE BUT THE FOOTBALL BEING SERVED UP IS WORSE TO WATCH THAN ROEDERS TEAM HIS FORMATION REALLY IS NOT WORKING I DONT EVEN LOOK FORWARD TO THE GAMES ANY MORE AND AFTER 16 YRS AS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER I AM ALREADY THINKING ABOUT NEXT SEASON WHERE I LIKE ALAN SMITHS EFFORT HE IS A CENTRE FORWARD WHO DOESNT SHOOT OR SCORE GOALS AND A IS SAM SERIOUSLY TELLING US HE IS A BETTER MIDFIELD PLAYER THAN EMRE I DONT THINK SO MILNER IS WASTED ON THE LEFT AS IS CHARLIE AND AFTER A DECENT START BOTH ROZENTAL AND THE BRAZILAN DONT LOOK ANY BETTER THAN ANDY OBRIEN PLEASE TELL SAM NEWCASTLE FANS WONT PUT UP WITH THIS DROSS MUCH LONGER OVER TO YOU LEE

David Forster said:

David - Vancouver. We get to see all EPL matches each week over here and I have to say the Toon are consistant in producing the worst displays to watch.

no idea's - the middle of the park are where the problems start - fix that we will do much, much, much better Sam.

Drop Smith - at least when I went every week you were on the edge of your seat with - "here we go". Now - "where have we gone"

Enjoy the xmas and all the best for the New Year.

lezb said:

Sam if you need a plumber would you call out an electrican??? the point being need a full back play a fullback ,and so on and on and on.simple isnt it.Or in your case it must be rocket science.Learn or LEAVE

Boydy said:

I read these posts regularly, and have not had the energy to put fingers to keybord...till now, after the crap dished out against Derby (Err..the crap at SJP that is, not the crap first time round).

BS is paid a fortune and still can't figure it out.

Ask 52,000 Geordies, and you can all but guarantee NONE of them will EVER select the lineup that BS puts out. Could it be that we all know sweet FA about football?

Look, I don't want to slag any single player off, BUUUUT.... Against Derby, we had a three-man attack (Or, an attack of two plus....Smith).

Now, Emre is more likely to score than Smith. Emre is more likely to set one up than Smith (OK, so he set up Viduka, but Emre would still set up more if he ever gets the chance of 90 minutes).

What is the point of having three up front when you can play a basic 4-4-2 and have more potential to score goals?

So, the question is: What is emre doing on the bench when Smith is on the park.

Emre proved to be more dangerous in the few minutes he had, Taylor had a crack coming on as a sub(At least the DEFENDER got himself into a scoring position), and Duff looked lively in his short visit to the allowed turf.

What I'm saying here is that every time BS plays Smith he is leaving a better player on the bench.

I live in Kuwait, so only get to see the games on the tele. But I watch every match, and it is PAINFUL. And to think it all looked so rosy at half three in the afternoon at the Reebok on 11 August.

I met a Geordie in Bangkok airport this morning, and his comment was 'the sooner we get rid of BS the better'.

I can't see the point in playing Smith ... not as a striker (When we have better), or a midfielder (With a midfielder on the bench to make way for him, and our best player - Charlie - stuck in at left back in place of a ....erm..... left back???).

Maybe Smith is doing a lot off the ball - I certainly don't hear his name mentioned in the commentaries doing anything ON the ball. He may be a grafter of sorts, but somebody tell me I am wrong: Our best team does NOT include smith...anywhere.

For the record: Given, Enrique, Cacapa, Taylor, Beye, Zogbia, Emre, Butt,Milner, Viduka, Martins.
(You could argue Butt/Barton/Geremi, or Milner/Duff if you want, but the other 9 surely MUST start?).

Let's hear it .... somebody tell me I am wrong. But I'd still be willin gotbet that team will beat anything BS puts out.

Anonymous said:

John Low Fell: Spot on mate.

Ourman: Agree with that team 100%, I have stated exactly the same team elsewhere. I did say you could argue BUTT/Geremi/Barton, or Milner/Duff, but in essence, that team is he best, WOULD have dicked Derby, and Smith ain't in it.

Anonymous said:

I was out at the pub watching newcastle's game on sunday, where and when is sams sham going to end? if i didnt know better that he'd been at Bolton ,i'd never of believed he had managerial experience, when with any other manager at newcastle has someones tactics come into question so much?
At the minute Newcastle are still pulling in the crowds, wether its at the stadium or people going out in the pubs and clubs to watch, but for how much longer? their is a lot of bemused people half heartedly watching newcastles games. Everything is so predictable, down to the performance.

Under roeder,its true a large part of the time he had many injuries to contend with. So he had to cut his cloth accordinlgy and people were played out of pos sometimes, so i for one gave him his due in difficult times and understoond the situation. I find it unbelievable if its not the case Sam aint losing his dressing room, this man has no managment skills, he is very cut throat.Roeder, if he and his players failed he'd never haul them off and single them out after games like sam does.
And yet for reasons am not quite sure about, Roeder did lose the dressing room, am not by no means saying roeder should be here, just thta he made sense in his decisions most of the time unlike sam.

If experienced campaigners like viduka,butt,given & co are not mythed at this present situation i'd show my ass in fenwicks window, and thats in the xmas season! Lets hope something radical happens soon and a big budget for January window.

Happy xmas to all

John Best said:

Yes we are terribly short of class; yet again the recent intake have been a disaster.The number ONE problem; is that real class wont come to NUFC.We buy SECOND RATE REJECTS, (fact) Every player that we buy, has an injury problem, we have come to expect it.Players tend to have one decent game every 10 outings; giving a glimmer of hope..We concede far too many goals from 25/30 yards, which are always deemed "screemers"utter bolix, we dont close the opposition down and Given is a shadow of his former glory; or has he just fallen into the catgory of mediocrity ??. We are unable to pass the ball to each other and there is no apparent game plan. Sam has had half and he is no nearer doing it; sinse the day he came.Dont expect a pot of gold from Ashley !: the mans got more sense.

victor said:

Sam,
Get Smith out of squad and you will see improvement . How long we going play with three defenders? Get Enrique back and let boys play they right positions!
The biggest our problem - we do not have right attaking midfielder. Lets buy the biggest name for this position. Mick,
Think about Sam.
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia.

Duncan Baines said:

Alan Smith is rubbish! Will him or Duff score a single goal all season?

Ronnie Lambert said:

This is too painful! I feel heart sorry for the fans, especially the long service ones like me who still refused to boo the team off and instead applauded the one's who applauded us. Yes it's crap but booing them after the game is only providing the gutter-press down south with tacky headlines about us vicious fans. Us oldsters however, are the epitome of patience and loyalty. We must be after all of these years of heartbreak and frustration and we still support them. But one thing became more apparent yesterday, and that simply is,that Sam is not the man. I honestly hope that this arrogant, intransigent oaf is gone at least by summer. On yesterday's performance, and with a poor team, Paul Jewell outwitted Sam. Now there's a canny replacement if we can't get anyone better, such as Shearer/Keegan, until Al learns the ropes. Boy can you imagine the fervour that would generate?

Campbell Waddell said:

Let's be reallistic we're hopeless, we have only put in 2 decent performances all season namely at Bolton and at home to Arsenal, the rest have been very laclustre to say the least. What's big Sam upto, playing players out of position and being ultra negative even at home, we're a shambles, we've only got 6 good players good enough for the premier league namely, Given Beye Taylor N'zogbia Emre and Owen have'nt seen enough of Enrique to comment on him, but if our previous signings from la liga are any indication then he will probably end up going back home for nothing and yet again we will have been conned in the transfer market. The quality of the foreign signings coming to St James' Park have been very poor on the whole with odd exception. I would'nt be enclined to trust big Sam with millions of pounds in the transfer window. It seems to me all the good work of Sir Bobby Robson has been squandered by a succession of incompetent fools who tell us that our expectations are too high, well the most loyal fans on the planet deserve the best, and if they can't have that at the moment then the least they deserve is that those that have great honour of pulling on the black and white shirt show some guts and give blood for the cause, too many of our overpaid stars show no commitment to the TOON, it takes a strong willed player to play for us and we don't have enough them. Sam if you read this why don't you try this team it's not rocket science. In 4-4-2 formation, Given Beye Taylor Rozenhal Enrique Milner Butt Emre N'zogbia Viduka and Owen when fit or Martins, and get them to play with a positve mental attitude and most important of all play with a smile on their faces.

Peter Harper said:

Jose Enrique has been fed to the wolves by Allardyce.He is a class player who, in the few games he has played has been in a formation no-one understands.
It is most unfair to suggest he has not lived up to his price tag.
I would not be surprised if he was gone in January.I have friends in Reuss Spain who say you could not print what he thinks of Allardyce.
He's not alone as we all feel the same!!!. Vive Espana

James 09 said:

Yip - Sean K is spot on re: the Enrique situation !!!!
My, and a whole tonne of other Newcastle United supporters exact point.

ENRIQUE HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE to prove either that (a) he is a decent LB (which would be amazing for us), OR (b) that he is rubbish (which would be typical) and should join the humiliatingly long list of humiliating transfer buys for Newcastle United.

Lee, what we Geordies are entitled to at the very least is a manager versed in Football Management 101. He is simply stubbornly continuing "my way" which just HAS NOT worked for the overwhelming majority of this term. Stubborn CAN be a very good quality - BUT ONLY WHEN IT"S BLOODY WORKING !!!!

Here's to Boxing Day aye - will we add another horrible performance, and struggle dreadfully to beat Wigan, to the inflated list of Derby (twice!!!), Boro, Sunderland, Reading, Fulham, Brum???? Wow what utter classy outfits they are - well that brutally displays just how far we have plunged.
Not to mention the non-performances against Pompey and Liverpool.

NOTHING would surprise me - win, lose, draw 8 all - no....wait...playing players in their respective positions and actually going to beat Wigan and other like teams - now that WOULD surprise me under Allardyce!!!!!!!
YES SAM YOU CAN CHANGE THINGS FOR THE BETTER WITH THIS SQUAD WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND MILLIONS IN THE WINDOW!!!!!!!!!

anon said:

i have been watching newcastle regularly now for 32 years but unless allardyce goes i wont be renewing next season.i get annoyed when i read bob moncur saying performances dont matter-well,he is not paying £500 for a season ticket,performances do matter,i find his comments offensive and i find allardyces football offensive.allardyce out

Michael Nee said:

Lee how do we know he (Enrique) hasn't settled, we've not heard a peep from him. He had 1 bad game v Liverpool but the rest of the team did. He hasn't been the worst performer this season, i.e. rozehnal, geremi, barton, smith have all been worse than him.

If he's not playing games then he can't prove himself, and he is a very good player, one of the best in spain last season, + charles is totally wasted at LB.

It's the players that allardyce brought in causing all the problems in the team. So he has failed on tactics, team selection, transfers, organsing a defence.

This guy is the worst we have ever seen at St James, even souness and roeder would do better and then we're both awful. If we don't win v Wigan, Chelsea and Man City which is likely as our very very good luck will run out and crash on us, then his position will be untenable for Ashley to ignore

Charles said:

Yet another loss and another lot of people criticizing Sam for all he's done in just months!

All the comments i read over the days have been all relevant and good, i admit i couldn't have said it better my self but still i think all of you are going wayyyyy to far here...

Everytime i see the team lose, complains are everywhere...i also contributed to this phenomenon but still i think people need to read all games and make a comparison before judging the players.

Alot of people argue and complains about A.smith. While that is true he deserve some but still he deserve some praise as well according to some games before. I am not Smith's fan so dont say i am supporting him but rather i am writing this as a reminder to show people that all your comments are judged based on pure one game facts...

Take a look at M.OWen. First he scores alot of goals, now he's being critised for not supporting his club more than country when certainly he commit to both.

Please all you people, dont take this the wrong way but i urge you that some players also have to right to read this comments and discouraging them after a loss is dangerous. Instead of critising, try writting what's wrong with the player and how to improve than just say 'he shouldn't be here'

(Dont write everything is wrong with the player because we all know that's not true)

True! We have performed badly against Derby but look forward not backward. Dont say Sam is not suppose to be here, because neither was Roeder and Souness...

Sam needs some time, he needs some new players that can adapt to english football. Did Keegan made immediate impact? Even if he did, he had good players by his side...and alot more common sense...

And a reminder for all those fans who think Newcastle is a 'waste of time to support', my advice :GO TO HELL! support Manu or chelsea is you like, but a true newcastle fan always sticks by with their team no matter what! You want to see good results, show some faith!

...at least until next christmas if Sam doesnt get sacked...

Anonymous said:

Harper(Given?)

Beye Taylor/Rozenhall Cacapa Zog

Faye/Geremi/Butt

Barton Emre Smith

Martins Viduka

RAYT WILSON said:

Well another poor performance yesterday-I guess this will continue as long as Big Sam stays at the helm-fact is he has not got a clue. Rozenhal was simply brushed aside by Miller for Derbys second goal -and he has been brushed aside all season-wonder what Joe Harvey would have said to him -guess we cant really print it though. This manager is a disaster-he plays Zoggy at left back -Milner where he is least effective-Martins on the wing-do I need to go on -we all know his tactics-team selections -and playing players out of position is damaging us with every game we play. HIS WAY AS HE CONSTANTLY TELLS US -WILL BE THE WAY Well sorry big Sam but not many that I know agree with you. PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND TELL US HOW THE GAME SHOULD BE PLAYED-AND PLEASE DONT RAISE EXPECTATIONS ABOUT DUFF COMING BACK -HE WAS USELESS LAST YEAR AND MUCH THOUGH I WOULD LIKE HIM TO PROVE ME WRONG I CANT SEE THAT HAPPENING. FACT IS KK BOUGHT QUALITY -THIS GUY HAS BOUGHT RUBBISH-ALL HE LOOKS FOR IS THIS SO CALLED VERSATILITY if he was serious about raising the bar then go and buy Berbatov-he is not happy at spurs and Shearer was his idol so maybe he would come -and also buy Bentley fron Blacburn -sure he would swap empty seats for a packed St. james in other worda Sam sign quality -not the muck you have wasted millions on so far -however knowing his lack of judgement -I think Chris and Mike are right not to give him more funds in the January window -after all they backed him last summer and where has it got us. Go back to Bolton Sam -you are not doing anything for Newcastle.

hanz3 said:

as many of the fans i agree Sam have to go ASAP... he is a disgrace to NUFC.lately I was disgruntled, terrified, gutted etc to watch Sam's team playing live telecasts here in Malaysia..though my heart will always love us to win games with teams like Derby etc.

Anonymous said:

Allardyce forgets that the two teams that they have had this mini turn around was against two teams not playing at a peak level. We need playmakers! Not guys who make you look patriotic.

Duncan Baines said:

Charles: Saying Smith is rubbish is not based on 'one game facts'. It is based on all this (terrible) season. Moreover, It says in the Chronicle that Smith has not scored a league goal for two years!

Stefan said:

Yet again, another poor management decision by playing Smith instead of Martins. Joke.

NORTHSHIELDSMAGPIE said:

WIGAN 1 newcastle 0..perfomance was pathetic,period.

What action is going to be taken now we have plummeted to this new low? unless Ashley acts..precisely NOTHING..sam is incapable of change.

Lee i am afraid its time for Sam and his 27 backroom staff to leave SJP. Sam cant implement any type of tactic. Were the players listening to their xmas i-pods out there on the pitch or what?it seemed they wanted to hoof the ball anywhere in the general direction of their opponents..thats not football?

I think mikes new year resolution could be that of a new manager. Sams next in line at about 13/8 fav for the chop. Go get some!!

peter Bravey said:

So heres the problem..
BS bemoans injury's, poor players (signed by previous managers,) new players need time to gel, poor transfer window oppotunities,.. seriously sam?
who has been injured who would be in most mag's first eleven? Duff? many of us remember his terrible, sluggish performances when he WAS fully fit. Owen? should be shipped out at the earliest oppotunity, In his limited performances for the toon, honestly.. has he ever impressed anyone? Fat Fred had it right and should have carried him back to Anfield!
Ameobi?, Ramage? Carr? Only Roeder has the right to bemoan injuries.
BS seems intent on ignoring the obvious to do things his way,.. it seems that pure pig headedness is picking the side now a days. There is no doubt in my mind that If he had Cacapa and Faye fit Our best centre half would be sat on the bench.. or shoved out to right back.. Is this judged on quality? or because Tayls is not Sam's player?
Let's look at the players Sam has brought in.. Geremi, consistantly the worst player on the pitch, gives the ball away, insists on taking every single set piece.. badly, and would lose to BS over 60 yards! He plays because he's Sam's player.
Enrique,.. looks ok to me! from the forty five minutes i've seen!
Cacapa,.. Poor, immobile,
Beye, possibly the best signing but i'm not sure ham many premier sides he'd get in!
Rozenhal, terribly inconsistant (did't we ship one of those out to wigan for free?)
Smith, If he's not good enough for Scum,.. how is he now our Captain?
Viduka, 33. one season? how is that productive?
Barton,. No one at the gallowgate would mind his violence, and outbursts if he produced. his display v Derby was abismal.

Lets face it, every Mag knows that the best eleven at the moment are made up mostly from players sam inherited,. but his stubberness means that he switches it around every week deperately hoping that out of no where he stumbles across a winning formation. Genious!!

Given
Beye, Tayls, Faye, Enrique
Milner, Barton, Emre
Oba,Viduka,Nzogbia
443 or simple switch to 442
bench, Duff,smith,,rozenhal,butt,owen

nez said:

EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY KNOWS THAT NUFC IS A MASSIVE CLUB WORLDWIDE WITH THE POTENTIAL TO BREAK UP THE DOMINATION OF THE SOUTH AND NORTH WEST. THE MEDIA KNOW THIS TO, THEY DONT PROMOTE US BECAUSE WE HAVE PROVIDED TOO MANY SOAP OPERA TYPE STORIES OVER MANY YEARS MAKING THEM MILLIONS OF
POUNDS IN REVENUE. THIS IS ALL THANKS TO MR SHEPERD, FINALLY HE HAS GONE AND WE JUST NEED TO GET RID OF HIS LAST DISASTROUS APPOINTMENT (I.E.) FAT SAM AND START A FRESH. IN MIKE ASHLEY WE HAVE A MAN WHO IS WILLING TO STAND AMONGST US AT AWAY GAMES GAUGING OPINION FROM A HUGELY KNOWLEDGABLE FANBASE. I AM SURE HE REALISES ALLARDYCE HAS TO GO, HOWEVER THIS SEASON IS ALL BUT OVER, ESPECIALLY WHEN WE LOSE TO STOKE IN THE FA CUP SO THERE IS NO REAL RUSH TO GET RID JUST YET. US TOON FANS LOVE ATTACKING FOOTBALLERS WHO PLAY THE GAME HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED ALONG THE GROUND AND AT PACE. WE WANT OUR PLAYERS TO BE A MIXTURE OF YOUTH AND EXPERIENCE WITH A BURNING DESIRE TO PLAY FOR US AND TO BE WINNERS AT ALL COSTS. IT IS IMPERATIVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE TO HAVE A YOUTH SET UP ENCOURAGING THE BEST LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL TALENT INSTEAD OF WASTING MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS EACH YEAR ON FOOTBALLING MERCENERIES LIKE OWEN, GEREMI, LUQUE, MARIC, MARCELINHO ETC,ETC,... WE NEED A PLAN FOR THE FUTURE AND STICK TO IT. THIS REQUIRES THE APPOINTMENT OF A WORLD CLASS COACH WHO IS TACTICALLY SOUND, ATTACK MINDED AND IS A PROVEN WINNER. OUR PLAYERS NEED LEADERSHIP, DIRECTION AND STABILITY IN ORDER TO PERFORM WEEK IN WEEK OUT AND KEEP IT SIMPLE, AFTER ALL FOOTBALL ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE. SO HERE IT IS MR ASHLEY TAKE YOUR TIME AND APPOINT THE RIGHT MAN TO TAKE US FORWARD, AFTER ALL WE HAVENT WON ANYTHING SINCE '69 SO DONT PANIC AND MAKE US PROUD OF OUR TEAM ONCE AGAIN.

Campbell Waddell said:

Well it's the end of yet another year of mundane mediocraty from the boys in black and white, but I was pleased with the performance against Chelsea even if we were robbed by another incompetent official. It's time to take stock of the situation, talk of sacking big Sam is ludicrous it would simply cost too much money. I feel the only real course of action is make the best of what have got at the moment, get as high up the table as we can maybe 8th or 9th and get ready for next season. Wether we like it or not we have to back big Sam, but I don't think the tranfer window is the answer unless you can get someone like Berbatov or Gudjohnson. Nevertheless I would like to see us play with little more adventure, coming to st James' park should be a daunting and difficult task, not losing at home is imperative and then we have something to build on. So lets get behind the lads in the new year and get a good cup run going at Stoke we can beat them and maybe start something positive going for the lads. A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL. COME ON THE TOON