All smiles for the Geordie boys!

By Lee Ryder on Mar 22, 08 07:03 PM

If you're a Geordie right now you'll probably have a smile stretching from ear to ear.

It's been a long wait but finally we can all stop talking about December 15.

Make no mistake United were full value for three points today and it could have been a better scoreline, but we'll take this gratefully with both hands.

Mike Ashley and Chris Mort were both delighted and KK's reaction said it all on the final whistle.

We've all had doubts about this season and while nobody is getting carried away with Newcastle still in danger in the Premier League, this could be the launchpad for success under KK.

An early goal from Mark Viduka, some great attacking movement and dogged defending and then a Michael Owen strike from Geremi's free-kick to wrap this all up.

Joey Barton was also pretty solid but this was a team performance.

The negativity that has been surrounding Newcastle United evaporated into the Tyneside skies this evening.

On a freezing afternoon that included rain and snow at St James's Park, clear skies afterwards set up an evening of celebration for the Toon Army.

It's been a long wait but forget all of your troubles because the party started at around 4:45pm on Saturday.

Enjoy!

medan said:

I am delighted, excited and overjoyed by this gutsy win. All around every one gave a great effort. Hope this is the beining of a revival.

All respect to MO I have being tough on him before, today he acted as a captain and showed he still got it as predator.

Viduka scored very imporatnt goal and Martins was the usual menace unlucky not to have a goal.

Midfield Barton was very good today Butt and Geremi held thier own but lack pace and movement.

Defense was quite solid, Taylor was calm and collected, Faye a lion and Beye and Enrique did well.

Harper was steady not tested much but hey I will be happy with that every game.

This is a very important dayand win for Newcastle way to go lads keepup the spirit.

STEVE said:

I said 2-0,very happy and very very drunk.bring on spurs....

Thomas Ryan said:

Here in down under Tasmnania, I'm wearing a smile as wide as any native Geordie. It's a tremendous relief to finally win again, and the manner in which the win was achieved was most reassuring. Now that Kevin Keegan has finally got the monkey off his back, perhaps those only to ready to forecast doom and gloom will have the good grace to admit that the man has genuine character. Howay the lads!

Brendan said:

Great to see a keeper whose distribution aids our cause -much as I admire Given as a shot-stopper.

I loathe Barton, but he was very good, as was Geremi.

Duncan Baines said:

I know he did an assist but Geremi was rubbish. He gave the ball away about 10 times!

jac mills said:

I wondered as I watched if KK had been feeding the lads something special, then I remembered they were playing Fulham. But it was good to see a win on Tyneside, as well as a fitter Viduka - (wasn't that a fine goal?), more effort from Barton, and more important, the number of chances Newcastle made. Too bad they couldn't produce goals(at least three in the first half)from the open, exciting football they played. KK must have thought it was Christmas, with the snow and a precious win. But if we are brutally honest, we know that Santa doesn't come too often in the EPL.

dick said:

the performance in the last two games and the dropping of smith and duff this is not a coincidance

Jack said:

"He gave the ball away about 10 times!"

Right, as opposed to Butt, Barton, Viduka, Taylor, Enrique...