We'll meet again...

By Lee Ryder on May 12, 08 09:06 AM

Newcastle may have spluttered their way over the finish line at Goodison Park but even though the home side were celebrating a well deserved place in Europe, the main talking points after the game were still surrounding United and just who will be at St James's Park next season.

If you are a Newcastle United fan, it's impossible to ignore the Michael Owen situation.

His final tally of 13 goals indicates an injury free campaign next time around in Kevin Keegan's side will hopefully see that continue.

But with Manchester United's interest in the player said to be genuine the quicker that Owen's Toon contract (which has one year to go) is sorted the better.

Toon fans have mixed views about Owen, but this season has proved if he's fit and on the field - he scores goals.

And some of his performances since he was handed the skipper's armband have been fantastic.

Any talk that Kevin Keegan and Owen wouldn't gel after the much publicised comments in the player's book about England, has been unfounded.

We are unlikely to see David Rozehnal or Lamine Diatta next season while Peter Ramage's tears on the way out of Goodison said it all for a player who has given everything in a black and white shirt.

Charles N'Zogbia - who was actually the pick of the bunch for United at Everton - still has a huge question mark over his head and his days appear numbered on Tyneside, unless there is a serious change in his application to life at SJP.

Alan Smith, Oba Martins and Emre will be linked with moves away from Tyneside during the summer while Liverpool want Steve Harper to challenge Jose Reina.

But the big concern will be about Owen for most United fans.

His mere presence at United could sway certain players to team up with him at Newcastle (just like Alan Shearer before him) and having him on board is a real feather in the cap.

It's going to be a long summer.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE OWEN SITUATION?

Andrew Grundy said:

We're seeing a different side to the board these days. There's no more PR stunts and Ashley doesn't seem to have any concern with endearing himself to the fans anymore. When Keegan came in all the talk was surrounding his relationship with Owen yet his goals have proven this doubt to be unfounded. Keegan and Owen can work wonders for us but only if we keep our best players and bring in a couple of talented and creative new players. Silence is certainly not golden.

Ben said:

Our three biggest signings this summer have to be Owen, Martins and Taylor, And if it is true about Owen being told to take a 40k pay cut we are in trouble! if we lose any of the 3 it will send out all the wrong signals to the future of our club! If we do tie these players down it will be such a huge boost! for the fans and for KK!

I would like to see us act early in the transfer market as well. Crouch is a must! especially with viduka possibly out for the start of the season, shorey from reading to add competion, Sidwell for competion for butt in the holding role. also Ben Haim,would cost nothing and solid with prem experiance, And as a big name, and we need at leat one this summer it has to be a creative midfielder, and this is were it becomes tricky I would look at the likes of Van der vaat, diego,deco, or to a lesser extent malbranque. The players I have mentioned wouldnt cost a fortune and I believe would jump at the chance to cum up here and play first team football.And half of these deals would be able to be financed from the departures of smith, emre,ameobi,duff, and N`zogbia.

Sandy Love said:

If Owen goes I think that will blow Keegans plans. He will want to build around Owen and that will ruin everything. Keegan keeps saying we need 4 or 5 players...I think we need about 7 or 8 if we are going to lose Charles and hopefully Smith and Duff. I am quite worried really. I know Martins had a knee injury yesterday and he seems fairly loyal so as long as we don't lose him I'm not so worried. I've never been a massive Owen fan.

Paul Patterson said:

It’s an absolute scandal if Owen must take a pay cut, if it were up to me, I’d sell Smith and just give Owen his wages as well.

Owen if he plays 30 games, will score somewhere near 20 goals and it’s important we keep him, but also just as important that we build the rest of the side to match his goals. Martins can get 20 goals, Owen can get 20 goals and if we were to sign Crouch, he’d get near that figure if he were playing regular, something Rafa Benitez isn’t doing- How can he value him at £15m, yet not even rate him highly- crazy!

There’s a common misconception that to challenge the top 6, you must go out and spend £100m, this is pure rubbish, our squad has always been a good one, just completely mismanaged under Fat Sam.

The basis of the squad is there,- Given/Harper, Beye, Faye, Butt, Barton, Owen and Martins are all certain starters, with Taylor, and Enrique filling in the back four, if form, injury or suspension dictates so.

So who to fill the gaps- well first we must see who goes- the obvious Smith, Duff, N’Zogbia, Ameobi and Emre are sure to be out the door.

You could extend that to Viduka and Geremi, but you need cover don’t you, so they would flit in and out as and when.

So a left winger is a must, if were happy enough with Milner on the right, I’d go for Downing like I’ve said many times, as he’s wasted at Boro’ and he’s better than everyone thinks, he just needs to be used right, Kevin will do that.

A creative midfielder is also a must- Moutinho and a first choice left back should be brought in whilst Enrique beds into English football,- John Arne Risse.

A new target man in Peter Crouch should arrive, maybe a £20m package deal with Risse? And then for cover - Aaron Hughes. Simple.

The board mustn’t think that the club can be done up on the cheap, but it also doesn’t take £100m to sort everything out. But £50m would get us into the top 6, of that I’m under no doubt, Kevin’s job is to attract the players, that is going to be the hardest part of the task ahead.

Paul.

Big Kev said:

If Man Utd really want Owen then we have no chance of keeping him & should look for the best deal for the club, however I would like to think he will stay as he's been fantastic since being made captain. We need defenders in the summer with a centre half & left back our main targets. Dunne from City has experiance in the league & has been solid for them. No more over seas centre halfs please they just don't cut it!! Baines from Everton would be a useful left back or Riise from Liverpool, both have played in the league & both would probably cost under £3m. We'll need a new target man with Viduka being ruled out & I think Ashton would be a good buy as West Ham need money & need to get players off their wage bill. Crouch at £15m? Do me a favour, it seems those days have gone under Ashley, thank god. I agree with trying to get good young players in like Arsenal have done & mixing them with good local talent it can only move the club forward. One big name would be nice but I think keeping the likes of Owen & Martins is going to be key this summer. A couple of new wide man are also a must.
Players out? I'd say Smith, N'Zogbia (because he wants to leave)Emre, Duff & Milner. All the players already released & Shola plus all the "International" centre halfs brought in by Sam, they are all poor, That should raise a bob or two.

Tom said:

Thanks to Peter Ramage for the commitment he has shown in a NUFC shirt and I am sure we will see him back in premiership soon...
It would be great to see Riise, Dean Ashton, Elano and Wright Phillips come in during the summer and get this club back where it should be.

Paul said:

I cant say Ive ever truely agreed with owen being a toon player, I thought from the start he was just here for the money but there is no doubt he is world class and if he took a pay cut to be here then it would well and truely change my mind. I think the following should pack there bags; Cacapa, Rozenhal, Geremi, Barton, N'zogbia (only because he obviously doesnt want to be here), Duff, Smith, Viduka, Ameobi. I would try and sign the following; Richards (Man city), Shorey (Reading), Ben Haim (Chelsea), Lennon (Spurs), Bentley (Blackburn), Crouch (Liverpool). These players shouldnt cost a huge ammount and with the sale of our deadwood the overall spend should be minimal, notice all the players listed to buy are proven premier league quality, the likes of Beevers, Vokes and other youngsters could be brought in to give us a bit of depth. I agree with KK's comments about Uefa cup being more realistic, can you really say this lineup shouldnt be challenging for that 5th spot;

Given

Harper
Beye
Shorey
Owen
Vokes

steve said:

we should be looking to get players in IMMEDIATELY,the board and that wise and jimenez lot have had plenty of time to digest KKs wishlist,if we dont strike while the iron is hot,we will miss the boat on loads of names.We should be looking at tying up oba and owen to maybe encourage people to sign,whilst informing them 2 just who we intend to sign,to get them to stay at SJP.But all we hear is bad news/vibes about losing our star players,be it from london papers or not,it cannot all be fabricated.Its gonna be an interesting summer.....hopefully all good though.Does anyone know why oba wasnt playing against the toffees??if we lose him we want our backsides kicking.

Dave Mac said:

OK the season's over. Carr, Rams and Troisi have definately gone, N'Zogbia will probably leave, Cacapa and Smith should go, Emre may decide on a change too. Seven out of an already small squad is a hell of a number to lose in one go. I still think Ashley will back KK, definatly not with 100m, but I would suggest that a figure of around 35m would be a more realistic sum. Added to the 15m in outgoings and saved wages the total available could be around 50m. Mort and Ashley both know that the squad cannot take seven losses and progress. I suspect it will be a very busy SJP this summer. Owen, Martins and (to a lesser extent) Taylor need to be resigned. Bridges (6m)is available from Chelsea now they've signed the Porto left back. Dunne (3m)would be a good solid signing, Downing (8m) a straight replacement for N'Zogbia, Crouch or Ashton (12m). That's 29m and plenty left for a very good playmaker and defensive midfielder. I don't think we'll have a bigger squad next season, but a squad assembled to get into the top 6 or 7. I'm just trying to be realistic not pessimistic.

B. Deegan said:

Regarding the Owen situation, I was interested to note recently that he is in the country's rich list with a fortune of £41. With his run of injuries and none appearences for this club, wouldn't it be nice to see him show some loyalty, by accepting a wage cut in recognition of the clubs work in getting him fit for both club and country. He's not exactly struggling with his mortgage. Brian.... Durham.

Jack said:

We have got to sign Dean Ashton. Viduka's surley had it now and he would be the perfect replacement. As for Owen, Martins and Taylor, these are three players integral to the future success of this club. Losing anyone of them would be madness. United need major investment in the summer not cost cutting. I just hope Ashley knows what hes doing.

By the way, can United not sort out this shite with n'zogbia. Has'nt got about three years left on his contract? Why should just be allowed to walk out on the cheap. I fear this one might come back and bite Newcastle.

Jack

Frank said:

"But the big concern will be about Owen for most United fans."

Really? if that's the case why weren't the fans chanting his name at the end of the Chelsea game? It's all Oba, Obafem. If they decide to sell Oba there'll be a lot of discontent.

I don't know that many who would be as bothered if we sold Owen. If he was that fantastic one of the big 4 would be after him.

Ferguson said yesterday "there is NO interest in him I can assure you of that".

Sounds like agent talk to me.

Ryder's reply: Do you expect Ferguson to come out and say "I'd love Owen on board", and at Everton the Toon fans were certainly chanting Owen's name.
There's no doubts Owen is a class act and if Newcastle have any ambition they have to hold on to his services

Pedi said:

Now the seasons over the transfer merry-go-round can begin. For us its already started with owen to MU. Ever since the day owen arrived he's apparently been going to sign for some1 else so its nothing new.
I agree with most others, the players that should leave...Smith,duff,geremi,butt etc... but if they all go, given we have a small squad to begin with, we'd not even have a full 11! So i guess we'll end up keeping most of the rubbish. I'd like to see Ashton arrive along with Riise, for a centreback how about the ferdinand from westham? Dunne maybe ok but id prefer micah richards.
We lost that diarra fella to portsmouth at xmas due to wage demands so if we are to have a wage cap the quality of player id hope for may not arrive. Its time for the new setup to earn their cash now and bring in decent players that arent past it, not injury prone, dont command ridiculous wages and will further our development as a club. My optimism for good players has reduced lately, please restore it by bringing in some proven quality!!!

Peter said:

This last week, since the Chelsea game have made me seriously think about renewing my season ticket. With the comments of KK, the lack of backing he's getting, the dragging of feet with Owen's contract, it seems our billionaire owner has just found himself a new business venture, it seems the plan is appease the fans by bring back the messiah, "that will keep them coming through the turnstiles", whilst we turn NUFC into a feeder club, big enough to attract some decent young untried talent, get them motivated by the best in the business and sell them off at a massive profit, that way he'll soon get his return on his investment. And if we're lucky on the way we may pick up a trophy(big may) or finish top ten. At least with Freddy his intentions were always clear, give the fans hope, with this bloke its keep the fans in the dark.

Anonymous said:

we may aswell just support another team now than waste our time with newcastle united.

Bobby got the sacked for finishing 5th?

not being able to reach a champions league place with 100 million transfer funds. cant remember arsenal spending 100 millions!

owen getting pay cut?

whats going on here?

anyone not renweing ther season ticket?

John said:

If owen goes, then that isn't the end of the road, its about time clubs took a stance on these stupid wage bills, owen isn't worth paying 102 grand a week too, and i think its common sense, that the club get this aspect in line, if he had any love for the club or for what the club has done for him, he would accept the same deal, or a reduction. For players coming in, i have banged on about Ashton of west ham, for ages, he should be one of the top targets, a good central defender to help taylor and bring him on, i hear ben haim, not for me, to easily beaten, its anyone's guess for who we will sign, if KK can get lennon from spurs, and get his head right, be a great signing, obviously berbatov, but he may be priced out of our range, please please not downing from the boro.

Ronnie Lambert said:

Just last week I said that supporting this club is a rollercoaster ride.....Sam coming in...down, Ashley seeing off Shepherd and crew...up, Sam's performance...down, Keegan coming in...up, no wins for yonks...down, sudden change for better...up, Go straight to London Kev...down, gag yourself and your players...down, Owen goin' to Man. U....down. Boy do we need some uppers right now in the shape of Owen not goin', Crouch and Riise comin' with Gattuso, Moutinho, Berbatov and more, and Emre, Smith, Duff, Viduka and more goin'. My head is spinnin', so glad for the very first time in my life that the close season is here. I might give rugby a try...get it?

STEVE said:

ASHTON should have come here straight from crewe,he was that good,but now hes a crock.......and whats all this clamour for riise and hughes.....if that happens then we truly,truly ARE second rate......that would be an embarrassment and indication of our intentions...leading to season ticket renewal second thoughts on mine,and many others behalfs....

Toon fan 4 life said:

I dont think Owen should ever have been signed, the money was all he was after from the start, bet Oba doesnt pick up 102k a week! I think the following should be sold or released to raise revenue, get rid of the deadwood at the club and reduce the wage bill- Cacapa, Smith, Duff, Viduka, Geremi, Owen, Ameobi, Rozenhal, N'zogbia, Barton. Also why is it that we dont loan out young players? Ameobi would have been far better than he is now if only we had loaned him out when he was 20ish, send Carrol, Tozer, Krul, Lua Lua and that young Italian and Hungarian whos names escape me out on loan, Arsenal, man u and chelsea all do so why dont we? yes i no Krul was out on loan last season but surely loaning them is better than tham wasting away in training or on the bench.
As for players in I would like to see bids for the following who wouldnt cost a huge ammount- Dunne (man city) Riise (Liverpool) Lennon (Spurs) Crouch (Liverpool) Bullard (Fulham) Ben haim (Chelsea). Think it would be wise to try and sign a couple of big names so the following could be good- Bentley (Blackburn) Fabiano (Sevilla) Adriano (Inter) Deco (Barcelona) Richards (man city). Now Im not saying sign all of the above just think they would be a step in the right direction and 5th atleast should be ours.

yiannis mazis said:

If Owen wants to go bye-bye.Iwant MARTINS to stay and ASTON to come with DECO and EDMILSON if he is OKEY.DOWING is a great player and only high class players like them can take us to the top(rememper zinola,asprilia ,albert).Riise is not good,away from us,he can go to Sunderland.

Charles said:

Okay, the season is finally over. Can I please forget the past and look forward into the future?

The first priority in KK's list is definitely keeping Owen in the contract. I think the comment about taking away 40K off his contract is ludicrous but yet could be the key factor to his commitment. Ashley must be mad to have done so, Owen is our scorer, our captain and most important, our inspiration. I have always backed Owen and now I seen enough to admit I have not regretted my support. If Ashley really wants to cut bills, he can start by selling A.Smith and retaining the services of M.Owen before ManU can make a bid.

Away with Owen and start the bid about transfers. With Viduka out for several months till christmas, a striker is now a huge priority unless any of you wants to see A.Smith in a black and white shirt again. Yes, a striker is a priority because as demonstrated by the last two games, we struggled without a big man in the middle. And besides, however who keeps A.Smith in the bench cant be all bad...

A left wing is also preferred as much as a full back. I'd put the vote for Risse for left back and left wing, I'll be going for Lennon.

Zog wants out, I'll show him the way. Heck, I'll drive him to London. Maybe we can get a part exchange with Spurs for Lennon. Let this be a good moral value to the other players; either play with passion or get your booted butt out!

Another reliable heart of midfield is needed. Butt is not going to play forever and I think next season will be his last. Barton will not be playing every game neither, he got his clauses to sort out. Hopefully KK been spotting midfielders or we will soon be seeing the likes of Geremi and Smith on the pitch mainly because we lack of someone to enter. (A pure lie. We've got wonderful youngsters.)

With that all sorted, lets move on the the needed and not needed...

Going...
Emre - going for sure
Smith - Lets hope and pray real hard
N'Zogbia - wants the bright lights with his family
Ameobi - Finally...

Supposedly coming...
Asthon - 8M
Risse - 5M
Lennon - Part exchange for 1.5M if not, 12M
Moutinho - 14M
Larrson from birmingham - 3M
Nickey Shorey - 5M

Unrealistic but possible...
Berbatov - 24M
Bentley - 14M

Youngsters...or future additions
Vokes
Leroy Lita
and a surprise one, maybe Doyle from Reading. Showed little this season, but who knows?

dexter said:

Keegan doesn't look too happy and it seems pretty evident why. Ashley has finally given the club clear direction and I'm sorry boys but we can say goodbye to big name signings.

Any fool can work out that at 120k a week Owen costs the club 4 fairly decent players. When you consider Adebayor is on 30k per week it's no wonder the board are asking him to take a pay cut.

For years we've been complaining about players not playing for the shirt. It's no wonder when the only reason they join us is for money.

I trust Keegan and I believe that Ashley is looking long term at making the club an extremely successful business and then with the funds making it a successful club.

I think top 5 next season is way beyond us as we need to overhaul the playing staff and reduce the wage bill. Keegans big challenge will be to attract players and I think he'll have to settle for a few unknowns from South America. Chelsea is the only example where throwing money at winning the league has worked (in recent times).

Make no mistake, we are very lucky to still be in the premier league. Lets look at next season as a rebuilding exercise with a good cup run.

Well done KK for working your magic. Thanks Lee for letting us all have our say this year. And thank the Lord we won't be starting the season with BS (that's Big Sam and not the other BS!)

Siomi said:

Obafemi is our biggest signing of the summer He is the player the big clubs are interested in, not Owen. We have to pin him down. If we can persuade Owen to stay as well that would be great coz he will always score goals. Forget about Ashton, I thought he was sh*te in our game with them. Would we prefer Crouch to Torres? Let’s get ourselves a Torres and not settle for the cast-offs.

No one is mentioning Habibi Beye. He has been really great, as has Abdullah Faye. And I think Jose ‘the bull’ Enrique shows real promise. Haven’t yet seen the other Senegalese guy, but would like to

Seems no-one wants top see Barton go any more, and what about Butt? I would hand both their P45s in an instant.

And for personal reasons, I would like to see Harper go and see Ali Al-Habsi come in from Bolton where he had an amazing end of season.

Dave C said:

Any one on here saying we should sign Downing from the Boro are deluded. Why would he come? he has just signed a new contract with his hometown club.

I am a toon supporter and want to see good players brought in as much as anyone else but stop being so arrogant as to think Downing would come just because we want him too.

We should concentrate instead on bringing in players who would be interested in playing for us and forget about Downing.

Charles said:

To Mr.Siomi comment,
To take Torres would be virtually impossible. The board has already called for a pay cut on Owen's contract and now will they be willing to pay another 120K per week? I dont think so. Besides, he gets champions league football, barely one year since he arrived and now to tempt him off, sorry, really too impossible unless we pay him 300K a week.

Forget about Asthon? Your opinion, not mine. But to call him a S*** would be delirious.

Harper to boot? God, help you! Are you insane or doing this on a bribe? Harper has been one of Newcastle's servants for several years and definitely showed patience, loyalty and commitment. I rather give up Owen than Harper really.

Duncan Baines said:

Let's get rid of Smith whatever else happens!

Bill said:

The biggest mistake we made with MO was paying him an obscenely high amount in wages. Now that his contract is up for discussion you cannot expect any employee to take a pay cut. It is saying we don't want you and will consider offers for your services. Whilst you have to accept he has scored important goals this season he has had a worrying tendency of missing sitters in several games.
A big plus for keeping him is that he might attract other players who would not otherwise come. I think we have to accept the only reason we get "big" players to come to this club is that we pay over the odds with wages. Until we get into Europe, or challenge for trophies, I don't see us buying the sort of players we all would like.

Dear Anonymous: Of course,I will be renewing my season ticket!

COCKNEY_SPIV said:

You Geordies are an amusing lot - Ronnie Lambert says if I cannot name a couple of London pubs - I am not a Cockney - well geography was never my strong point. In the meantime can someone kindly explain the term "Taking the Toon back to where it belongs" Which is where exactly? Please try and answer without the usual rubbish I get i.e. I read the Sun etc re negative comments about the Toon - me thinks not!!!

Dave B said:

John - At least FF didn't keep us in the dark - please say your joking. MA and KK have every right not to tell the world and his dog how much they're going to spend.

No club in world football has paid over the odds like Newcastle in the last 10 years for second rate players who look good on compilation videos.

Take a second to ask yourself why this is!

Jason said:

I REALLY HOPE MIKE ASHLEY BACKS KK IN THE SUMMER WITH AS MUCH FINANCIAL CLOUT AS POSSIBLE, AS I THINK THIS IS THE BIGGEST SUMMER THAT NEWCASTLE ARE GOING TO BE INVOLVED IN, WITH REAL DANGER OF NOT ONLY BEING CUT-OFF FROM THE TOP 4 BUT THE TOP 6 AS WELL IF WE DONT INVEST HEAVILY. I REALLY HOPE MO SIGNS A NEW CONTRACT AS HE HAS PROVED THIS SEASON IF HE IS FIT HE SCORES GOALS, OBA IS ANOTHER PLAYER WHO MUST STAY ON TYNESIDE AS WE ARE SHORT OF PACE AS IT IS AND LETS HOPE TAYLOR IS ANOTHER PLAYER WE CAN TIE DOWN AS POTENTIALLY I THINK HES GOING TO BE A GOOD PLAYER. I THINK WE NEED MAJOR INVESTMENT IN THE SQUAD WITH AT LEAST HALF OF THEM BEING SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE BACK OF CACAPA ROZEHNAL GEREMI DUFF SMITH AND SHOLA PLUS THE 3 WHO HAVE JUST BEEN RELEASED WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE INJURY PRONE EMRE AND CROWD FAVOURITE NZOGBIA ALSO LIKELY TO LEAVE. IS THERE GOING TO BE ANY POINT IN KEEPING VIDUKA AS HE ISNT GETTING ANY YOUNGER AND HES GOING TO MISS PRE-SEASON AND MAYBE SOME OF NEXT SEASON. SO THAT WOULD BE 10 OR 11 ON THERE WAY. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE KK GO FOR DUNNE AND CUELLAR AS BOTH ARE GOOD SOLID DEFENDERS, AS FOR LEFT BACKS RIISE OR BAINES WOULD DO US, AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BENTLEY AND DOWNING COME BUT I THINK THE CHANCES OF SIGNING THEM ARE NON STARTERS SO MAYBE LENNON AND McGEADY, A CREATIVE MIDFIELDER IS A MUST WITH VAN DER VAART, DIEGO OR DECO BEING QUALITY ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS TO REPLACE EMRE. I THINK ANOTHER MIDFIELDER IS ALSO NEEDED FOR COMPETITION WITH BUTT AND BARTON MAYBE SIDWELL OR IRELAND BUT I WOULD PREFER TO SEE SAMIR NASRI OR JOA MOUTINHO IF POSSIBLE. ASHTON WOULD BE A GREAT SIGNING IF WE CAN GET HIM, IF NOT CROUCH WOULD DO TO REPLACE VIDUKA. IF THIS BAFETIMBI GOMIS IS GOOD ENOUGH THEN WE SHOULD LOOK TO BRING HIM IN AS COMPETITION FOR DEAN ASHTON. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE RAFINHA SIGNED FOR COMPETITION FOR BEYE AT RIGHT BACK BUT MAYBE ONOUHA IS A MORE REALISTIC TARGET. I THINK THESE SIGNINGS WOULD GIVE US A REALISTIC CHANCE OF GETTING BACK INTO EUROPE NEXT SEASON. WE MUST SHOW AS MUCH AMBITION AS THE LIKES OF TOTTENHAM EVERTON AND VILLA OR ELSE THERE IS A REAL DANGER OF LOSING GROUND ON THESE CLUBS. AFTER ALL WE ARE BIGGER THAN ALL THESE CLUBS.

GIVEN

HARPER
TAYLOR OR FAYE
SIDWELL OR IRELAND
MILNER
GOMIS OR MARTINS

Mick the Viking said:

I was really optimistic before the Chelsea game, at least before KK spoke the heartbreaking truth. Now every day instead of positive rumours of good players being lined up for the club, I hear negetive ones about good players possibly leaving. Is that how far we have fallen from the heights of a buying club as we were under Sir Bobby to a mid table selling club as we have been for most of our post war existence!

Sire Bobby, KK and Alan Shearer were talismans attracting good players. The only talisman left now would be Owen and Martins...and the rumours are depressing...please can someone..anyone say something positive that will or might happen?

Snapper said:

Alex Ferguson said on Sunday when asked, there was no truth whatsoever that he was interested Owen. I cannot understand how all the unrest has developed again, I for one, cannot understand how controversy always rears its ugly head over the team that we all love so much. If the owner and Mort want to cut Owens salary they must be on a losing battle, if you employ somebody at a certain salary you cannot expect to the player agree to a cut whatever the circumstances. If Owens appearances have been curtailed (and we were compensated) they cannot use that as a tool to cut his pay. As regard the Keegan situation I can only hope that he is staying for the right reasons and that he has a workable relationship with Astley I think that KK is to honest a person to stay if all was not right. At least I hope so.

Anonymous said:

Ive just read sunderland will be given a transfer kitty of 50 million pound. Newcastle will need this amount just to stand still, with all the spending in the league these days. The new board are going about this the wrong way by the looks of it, they need to back Keegan with big cash. Newcastle cant do it the Arsenal way, trying to find cheap youngsters and grooming them into superstars. We have neither the scouting system or the attraction of Arsenal.
Ashley get your wallet out, or sell up.

medan said:

OK, I have no issue with MO I just do not believe that he is the right person to build a team around unless we have 100 to 200 million pounds to spend to bring in players who can provide the service he requires to score a lot of goals or score against quality opposition. If the budget is tight and we need to rebuild I rather we use the Arsenal approach and build on young guys like Martins and Taylor. I want to remind you the following facts:

1] He still does not have the pace to beat most quality defenders one on one.

2] He is 28 that means by the time we have a gelling team he will be around 29/30. I would not want my leading striker to be that old.

3] He really strated scoring regularly once KK redfined his role from attacking CF stiker which he had a problem with to a midfield/roaming stiker. That does not provide too many options to a coach having a striker that is not effective as pure striker.

4] He is too injury prone and will only get worse with age.

Agian I have no issue with MO staying but not to build a team around him. I personally would like to see 2 new strikers with skill pace and height, Viduka should be relegated to backup.

2 new midfielders (Creative and holding).

2 defenders.

If there is anything abvious about the current team it looks old, slow and lucks movement/pace and creativity.

Hope KK fixes it and does not put all his eggs in one basket called MO.

phillip datson said:

michael owen was obviously brought to this club to be the new shearer ( local passion asside ) , i cant beleive ashley could contimplate asking him to take a paycut, top echerlon players cost a fotune to sign , nufc already have owen, he has proven he is over his injuries, yes he missed some sitters but a full preseason, training with his midfield and i beleive he wil repay newcastle for 3 or4 years to come. i beleive also crouch would be a good investment. I dont know why ashley would invest his money if he didnt want itto succeed, which it is not going to if it does not let keegan do what he was appointed to do.Enrique and beye were both revelations, taylor must be retained, barton showed glimpes, but watching here from oz it is our midfield that is letting the side down, and i will be glad to see carr go.

andy said:

The posters on here seem to not accept the reality of the status quo. Torres, Bentley, Berbatov, Moutinho, Downing, Lennon, Gattuso?

All the above are Champions League players and will play for such clubs.

As for £15m on the Crouchses of this world i think MA's message could not be clearer. Those sort of signings are a thing of the past. Besdides do we really believe signing from the 'big 4' players who are past there best (butt), injury prone (owen and duff) or failures to make the grade (Smith) has proved a successful strategy.

The only option is to dig in for the long haul, buy young and up and coming, keep salaries under control and make steady but unspectacular progress over 2 or 3 years. Its called being a serious football club.

Pragmatic times ahead - but i worry if we get off to a slow start and the Irish Unwashed start well - the fans may not be ready for the 'longhaul'

David said:

Makes me laugh all this championship manager fantasy....GET REAL..we've just had our joint worst prem season ever. This will take time. Thank your lucky stars that we've got Keegan and Ashley - and Mort who at last seem to have some sense and a long term plan. No more putting us in hock with trophy signings and the wages that go with them. Any player signing just for the cash isn't worth it anyway. As for who to get rid of, we might be saddled with a few because of the wages that the previous regime agreed to. Anyway, you can't get rid if there isn't a replacement and we are already light on numbers. Remember it took Bobby 2 years, then he spent some cash on Robert and Bellamy. suddenly theteam had some pace, everyone else looked better and the whole dynamic changed. Maybe thats why Keegan says 3 or 4 - he thinks the others will benefit from more class around them? Here's 1 for you all. GET RID of Martins, he can't trap a ball and has no awareness - not a team player and definitely not in a 442. £15m - snap their hands off. By the way Beardsley agrees - he said so in a talk in!!!

Charles said:

Once again, Mr.COCKNEY_SPIV,
I have no grudge against you, nor do I care whether or not you're a cockney. The point is, if you're here to dump your hatred against Newcastle United, do it in a Sunderland blog, I'm sure the mackems would need an abuser like you to lower enemy morale.

And the toon rightfully belong in the top 6 the very least. Time change and in time even the giants have to make way for the better teams.

If you're not here to say something polite nor say something positive, please kindly walk away and never come back.

Peter said:

Well all I can say is that we exercise caution!!! The Media love to write ****, and when it's crap about NUFC they light up, but when it's **** about NUFC AND KK, well they're besides themselves. Let's sit and think about it, for one moment. Who here thinks that cutting 1 player's wages by £20k a week will make up enough money to pay 6-8 players wages? (3-4 stars and 3-4 youngsters) £20k will help, but not one of those "star" players will be paid less than £50k per week.

This is quite clearly London journalists making mischief and writing any old tat. The trouble with modern journalism is the plagiarised stories that abound. One person makes it up and everyone cuts and paste's it. It's laughable what passes for original thought. Old stories are recycled at will with the tell tale signs of cut and paste journalism obvious. Isolated single letters, commas all at sea, full stops abandoned and vast amounts of space. Then there's the quotes taken out of previous stories to make a new story. Laziness, wickedness and a lack of professionalism is what's driving the Owen wage cut story.

Now coming to transfer targets and who I'd like to see. Diane at PSG (not Diane at your local chippie!) I was only talking about this striker the other day! Tall, strong and fast with a great eye for goal. PSG have struggled this season even though their strikers have done pretty well. Aaron Lennon would be a great signing, BUT sorry to worry everyone, NO PREMIER LEAGUE CLUB will be selling quality English players (or foreign club selling their own nationals) Until after 29 May. 29/30 May is when Sepp Blatter gets a FIFA vote on a new global rule known colloquially as 6+5. The rule will ensure that there are a minimum of 6 players eligible to play for the country that the club is based in. Clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal are in big, big trouble if this happens. Potentially, the balance of power could shift to those sides who have predominantly English players especially if they decide not to sell. SBR had NUFC predominantlty UK based players until Sourpuss sold them all. If I was Blatter, I'd actually go one step further and prevent teams like Chelsea from flexing their muscles by enforcing a further rule, which I'll call "Ha Ha Chelsea Rule". This rule would also insist that the six "nationals" would have been continuously with the club since the age of 13. This then encourages investment in youth and grass roots football. It prevents the title being bought and it channels the billionaire owner's money where it can have a strategic outcome.

Assuming that FIFA don't get their way, I'd love to see N'zogbia stay and to make the left wing his own. Duff may have had an injury last season, but why was he pants before that? Smith is an honest player, all the gear and no idea. It's not as if he's lazy, just not very good or sure where he's playing. Richard Dunne would be a great signing as would be Wayne Bridge.

In the middle, we need someone with exemplary playmaking skills and whilst some scoff at Davids, I'd be happy to see him spend a season with us. Butt should continue for at least another season too. I think that Martins is going to go to Arsenal, it's just a feeling and I think that Viduka will never recover entirely from this latest one of 301 injuries and should be pastured off. Crouch would be a decent signing, but I don't want to see him here because we'll be tempted to play route 1 football. Klaus Jan Huntelaar would be one of my preferred choices, and if what I've heard is true, he'd be great alongside Henry. (I have a source who insists Henry has signed a pre-contract- the same source was spot on about Owen and Kluivert before him.)

Lastly, I don't think we're that far from the CL as KK tried to portray us. The form we showed in the final 9 games was top 4 form. We also beat Everton at home playing kick and rush footie and Keegan had enforced changes which unbalanced the side. KK also forgot that this club was playing CL football 6 seasons ago (he said that the top 4 have been the same for 6 years). Quite why the London press put their faith in Spurs bridging the gap when they spent loads and finished 12th, albeit with a cup, I don't know. I am a firm backer of KK, and I think that the Owen wage saga is to hide our real war chest.

To sum up, Owen wage story is media ****. We need English players (never thought I'd be saying that) even if 6+5 doesn't come in this season, it will next season. Finally, Henry, is on his way!

medan said:

David are your for real, should I remind you that Owen strugled on 4-4-2 formation playing with Viduka I would argur that Martins did better in 442 as he is able to create his own shot playing in a midfield tht do not create that many chances. Martins scored 17 goals playing in a 442 formation last year agin playing in a crap team. In terms of he can not trap come on when he is in form he is the best at controlling, trapping and shooting the ball yes he sometimes tend to out run the ball but he is playing in a very slow team. Team player well in the last 6 games he was too eager to score to prove himself to KK but I have to say there is no worldclass triker that is not selfish.I have to say in the last 8 games he was the most dangerous stiker for NewCastle not only my opinion but most analyst.Martins and Viduak really revitilzed the attack allowing MO to roam free unmarked and score goals. One thing for sure though selling him to a team like Arsenal will benefit Martins. And MO is the main striker I could not see Martins accepting a sub role and highly likely will move so your wish may come true.

Jack K said:

I read to my horror in the Grauniad that KK has to sell before he can buy. Is this true?

And if that's not fiction, surely the next bit must be, because the writer states that Southgate wants to buy Alan Smith. That'll be the last time Boro'll score eight!

More worrying is the fact Mr Versatlity's wages are given as £62,000 PER WEEK!!! For what? If you think Owen's overpaid, where does that leave him?

Well, if Southgate's daft enough to buy him, thank God, because he really ought to be displaying his versatility in the Championship and he'll be a lucky boy to stay in this league after his abysmal showing this year. Let's hope we can offload Duff on the Smoggies too. Anyone down there want to buy some swampland? It won't cost you much...

GEORDIE_BOY said:

Who is this Cockney Spiv idiot??? Is it Dennis Wise. We have enough Cockneys at the Toon already - Cockney Spiv on yer bike!!!

ronnie lambert said:

If you had half a brain COCKNEYSPIV, you'd have looked on Google-earth to find the two London pubs, then again the computer you use in Sunderland library probably hasn't got google earth.

COCKNEY_SPIV said:

Here are the 10 reasons the Toon are not a big club.
1. The London press
2. The London press
3. The London press
4. The London press
5. The London press
6. The London press
7. The London press
8. The London press
9. The London press
10. The London press

If the national press relocates to Birmingham will it then be the Midlands Press etc etc etc

TRUE BLUE SCOUSER said:

Who is the best manager?
Kevin Keegan
Or
David Moyes???

RAY WILSON said:

Hi Lee-- I am not excited or enthusiastic by the signals coming from St. James Park. If current information is correct it seems we are going to slip further downhill mext season -of course Owen wont take a pay cut-who on earth would- I see spurs fancy getting Bentley for 15 million and Roy keane will reportedly have 50million to spend. It seems once again that every one is going to strengthen further again next season-we already have a paper thin squad- I get the impression Kevin is going to get frustrated with events-we seem to have a chairman who does not understand the modern day footballer,a director of football who is up the owners backside and a owner who thinks its easy attracting players of quality whilst sending out signals that wage bills must be trimmed and suggests our one world class player takes a wage cut--please tell me some one how the likes of all the other premiership teams with the exception of Man U. Arsenal Liverpool and a couple of other top clubs survive and spend more freely than we seem prepared to -with gates of attendance almost half of ours--do we not deserve just a little more from this club. It is starting to become a battle for survival in terms of supporting this club.The omens do not look good from where I sit in the stands -and I have been supporting this club for 50 years.

ronnie lambert said:

Ray Wilson, you're just having a downer. That's what supporting the toon's all about, up one day, down the next. Chin up bonnie lad N'Zogbia's suddenly chirped up that he wants to stay. Now that means we can definitely blow Duff out and Keegan can do the magic on Zog without having to find a new left winger. Milner and Zog, what a great pair of wingers, now we just need a reliable target man for Dukes' latest sick-leave, and the amazing Bafitembi Gomis and/or the scintillating Amara Diane who I've just seen on youtube. Gattuso and Moutinho will just leave us requiring anybody but Dunne in central defence,who was useless in his last two games so it's not as gloomy as you think Ray. Mike Ashley wouldn't have spent £250,000,000 + whatever Sam spent on players if he didn't want success at this club. I think we need to show a wee bit more of our famous Geordie patience until next season. Gan canny everybody, and Spiv, divvent venture out of Doxford Park at night, neither yay, yuwa boy or ya dar.

Thomas Albert Warner said:

AS a 77year old I think Smith and Duff should go.I have more get up and go. We can not let to many go, be realistic. I believe most in their 1st season wearing Black and White will be stronger .WE need a striker who bullys the defenders, a midfielder who is strong skillful dose not fall over easily a defender that read the game well is fast and knocks 7 bells out of Renaldo. Ask Fred Shep. which five players he would buy then cross them off the list.

Siomi said:

I enjoyed Peter’s timely reminder about FIFA’s 6+5 proposal. Newcastle have always been able to field a team of at least half roastbeefs, unlike the blue and red teams from London who struggle to field one or two.

Of course, this means a British passport will add a third to any transfer deal as well as a premium wage packet, and players like Milner, Taylor and even His Excellency Owen become hot property. Our academy will become very important, but maybe just a way for Ashley to make money by flogging off the cream for a premium price?

I do think we need to be paying close attention to Spurs. They seem to be able to buy anyone they want at the moment and are putting together an awesome squad. Eto from Barcelona? My God!

I will put a bet on them for the Premiership next season.

The question is, why aren’t we doing the same? We beat them and we finished in a similar place in the league. They do have Europe next season, but what else do they have? They have beaten us to every meaningful signing and trust me, the only English player that might be allowed to leave their squad will be our old friend Jennas (no thanks).

I am afraid that Kevin is right about next season. It will be fun, we will have some famous victories and play some great football, we might even have a decent cup run, but forget about winning anything. The only thing we HAVE to win next season is a place in Europe. Selling smudger smith might give us a chance for the Fair Play spot if nothing else works

Kevin Ball said:

Newcastle cannot afford not to spend big this summer.

If they do not strengthen the squad accordingly, they will not only fail to catch up with the teams above them but they may even drop down a few places, with Sunderland and Fulham showing good ambition to add to their ranks.

Roy Keane wants a massive transfer kitty, of £50m and £80m depending on what you read and if he gets that kind of money to spend, it would be a disaster for a club like Newcastle which prides itself on being the best in the region.

Fulham too spent big last summer and even though they didn't achieve a lot, expect them to do so again. Then there's Wigan, well organised and solid under Steve Bruce, they can do well next season if they keep up their good form.

M. Sebastian T. said:

Hello COCKNEY_SPIV:

Here are the real 10 reasons the Toon are not a big club.
1. They have not won anything for 50 odd years.
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
...
10. Ditto.

The Fairytale Cup does not count all the truly big clubs were excluded.

About Owen rumours: Do not believe then because they are undoubtedly started by Newcastle management who just hope somebody will buy their overpaid player after his brief recent purple patch.

Hepstyle said:

Please please please let go of Alan Smith. Amare Diane seems to want to come. Do anything to keep Martins and Owen, look for some young talent in midfield, buy Diane. Buy an experienced midfielder who can creatively distribute the ball to take Barton's place. Maybe we finish 9th next year!

Twiig Bee Live A Geordie!! said:

Nufc Shud Keep All These Players Out Ov The Full Squad.

Keeper