Shearer sounds Toon battlecry

By Lee Ryder on Apr 23, 09 03:29 PM

ALAN Shearer sounded out perhaps the most important battlecry ever in Newcastle United's modern history when he urged everybody to make a monumental effort to get behind the lads against Portsmouth.

Big Al admitted straight away that Newcastle "were always" asking for more from their fans and the facts are that the Toon Army have NEVER ever let their side down.

True, the players who don the black and white shirts have done it time and time again but for the current crop of players, they now have to give the Geordie public something to respond to if they are to help us get out of this mess.

Shearer said: "They have turned up in their thousands all season and have had nothing to shout about.

"But I'm asking them for three games to get behind us and make it a special atmosphere."

We've served up one superb atmosphere after another at SJP down the years.

Not least the 1992 encounter with Pompey when David Kelly's late winner did the trick at Gallowgate.

But since that point onwards, never has it been as serious as now nor so vital to get a result.

Failure to beat Pompey would more or less finish off Newcastle's hopes, well if you don't think it's over already that is.

Yet regardless of what you think about the owner, the whole situation, this season and whether it could be one of your last games at SJP for a while - the need to get behind the lads has never been greater.

Big Si said:

Big Al need not worry, we'll be there doing our bit but will the players ?????

Mexicola said:

One look at Southamptons fate today tells you why Saturday is so important.

Do the players deserve us? No.
Do I want Ashley in charge? Not a chance.
Will things get better next year if we stay up? Who knows, probably not.
Will they get worse if we go down? Almost certainly.

Get behind the lads on Saturday. Sing yer hearts out. Howay the Lads.

Dave Owens said:

Agreed. And let's saty right to the end. I had to laugh at the mongs in front of me at the Arsenal game. Drunk as skunks, stuffing their faces with Sunderland dummies from Greggs and then chips after half time, they moaned constantly about some people not singing or shouting. They arrived late, left to get their beer and food ten minutes before half time and left 15 minutes before the end. Real fans.

JRLowe said:

To every Newcastle United fan we must stay positive, but we won't be crossing that white line on Monday night,as fans all we can ever do is try to motivate grown men to play football the CORRECT way with creativity and purpose, we had a big warning at the end of last season we survived only because the teams we played had already mentally finished the season, The player's are obviously the only people who can change that .I finally now know what the board were expecting this season they thought the players would exceed expectation ie do an Everton or Aston Villa, there has only been two players in the last ten years who have done more than what we thought before signing them Shay Given Nolberto Solano (Alan Shearer did what we knew he would), two many players have ridden the NUFC gravy train claiming on signing day to want to play for the fans in their press conferences couldn't think of a better time!

gibbo said:

Support them! they are now big boys wearing long trousers, they don't need support except in they wallets. In general they are gutless and need a good kick up the a***e, they couldn't kick mine.

M. Sebastian T. said:

Hey Mexicola, If you want to sing on Saturday you'll have to go to another match! Probably the fate in the Pompey game will depend on which James turns up to play in their goal. 0-0 would not be a surprise.

kieran said:

right mike ashley, time to make relegation contingency plans i think, your going to have to spend a lot of money to avoid administration hope youve got your chequebook handy.

Paul J said:

Well, I would have been there. In my usual seat. If they hadnt moved it to a Monday night. It's a bit difficult getting up from London. I expect my Dad will be happy though. He gets to use my season ticket.

We are at the last chance saloon. I don't want to hear players talking a good game in the media. No more bravado. Get your heads down lads, get in to them with everything you've got....and the crowd will sing you home.

Chris Gray said:

After today's defeat by Liverpool, Hull only have one more point in them. They will end up with 35. Boro will get 32 or possibly 33. West Brom are gone, even after today's 3-0 win. That means 36 (or even 35 with goal difference) will be enough. Two wins then: knowing us it'll be Liverpool and Villa away. I agree that defeat on Monday might be catastrophic psychologically, but I still think there would be hope. Even if Hull win their only winnable game (home to Stoke) which I reckon they'll draw, they will only have 37 - so two wins and a draw might do us nicely. Seven points from five games isn't beyond even this lot.

Dave Owens said:

"Quote of the week from Iain Dowie: "I'm not a great believer in negativity". Is anyone?"

Butt and Nolan, to name two.

Toontastic said:

This weekend rsults were liek Christmas presents for us. I listened to the mackems and they in their own words were diabolical.
I watched Boro and they have nothing up front. Phil Brown has lost the plot and the dressing room at Hull.
So this brings me to tonights game. Although I am a firm believer in looking after your own garden if this weekends results can't inspire us even further to beat Pompey then I don't know what can. Granted there will be plenty of twist and turns before the season is out but I for one believe.
Haway Toon Army Get Behind The Lads - Help make the dream of survival a reality. Re-Group in ths Summer under Shearer get rid of the dross and get a new owner.
2-0 tonight Viduka, Martins.

DavidK said:

Goal-less, Guile-Less and Gut-Less.

I've tried my damndest to stay fully behind the team but last night gave me the final proof, if it were needed, that where we once fielded a team of individuals that could light up a game on their own, we now put out a side that would struggle to light a sparkler on Guy Fawkes night.
I hope questions were asked by the players after the game, but I suspect that the first one asked by our "star" striker was "What won the 3:30 at Kempton?".
I'm afraid the only realistic chance of us staying in the top flight with the application shown last night will only come if Satan is spotted buying a pair of ice skates.

DavidK said:

londontoon said:

I still say we're improving. it took KK 9-10 games to turn this around. "HOWAY THE LADS!!" STICK IN, KEEP FIGHTING, AS SHEARER HAS SAID AND WE'LL GET SOMETHING!! IT CAN STILL BE ACHIEVED! JUST DON'T GIVE UP!!!!
i'd like to see a goal from one of our defenders, show them how its done and i think it may give them the kick up the backside req!!!