Newcastle United Plan B could lead to League One

By Lee Ryder on Jun 5, 09 09:59 PM

In a week when the silence has been deafening at St James's Park - the possibility that Alan Shearer may not be handed the manager's post for most is a scary one.

I endured a bad dream the other night that Newcastle being put up for sale was merely a hairbrain scheme by Mike Ashley to take away the attention of Shearer not getting the job and try to soften the blow that for a second time that Joe Kinnear was coming as "interim boss" instead.

In doing so Kinnear did OK as boss and steadied the ship with a couple of early season wins.

However, after waking up to discover it wasn't true there is no escaping the fact that Kinnear in charge again would be a worrying state of affairs.

In doing so, it would represent a major gamble (yes another one) and leave this club in danger of sliding into third flight football for the first time ever.

Already first team "stars" have put their heads above water to signal their intentions for next season.

But the truth is, half of this lot aren't good enough for the Championship let alone the top flight.

We'll be lucky to get them off the wage bill.

At least Shearer in charge will give the club some respect and get the right players in.

Yes Kinnear performed OK at the start last time around but he was under no pressure.

It will take a bit more than dressing room banter, a few daft jokes, arms round shoulders, backside kicking and a foul mouthed rant at journalists to sort this mess out now.

Steve said:

Lee
I could not agree more and i am so worried about the way forward...........with me having no buisness knowledge is there a possible plan with ashley as making the club dissapper completeley so he can flog the land off elswhere!!!!, what is his plans????? i agree that going down could be a blessing in disguise to get rid of the DROSE !!!!!!!!!!! we have wearing that shirt no pride at all. Also what did you think of shephard and halls comments the slippery slope started from the treatment of shephard with Sir Bobby and then he brought souness then tried roeder and the worst of all ALLERDYCE!!!!!!! i dont think we would off been down but we would be playing SH__E football and i gaurentee there would not be 50,000 wanting to watch that. I believe SHEARERS intentions are genuine and he is hurt as all the loyal fans are and i believe it will be only him that can generate the intrest with the fans again to get behind the team, so i hope it happens especially with a quick sale for fat boy and new investment!!!! so role on the August.........also what about BRUCE hahaha what a laugh i have had with the makims when they should be getting in about us they go and hire a GEORDIE with black and white blood and if they dont believe it ask his dad !!!!!

Steve said:

Lee

Hve just been reading more internet and again i have to laugh another so called star wants away to play top flight football and not in the championship sureley managers must look at the commitment and attitude of these players must mean you dont want to touch them with a barge pole!!!! mercenaries or what.

Sir Alan Salt said:

I think you're right Lee, very worrying, it seems that at every transfer window Ashley does something to upset the applecart so that players can't be bought or proper structured planning put into place.
What's the betting that as the window closes we'll get another self pitying statement from him, concluding with, "the club is no longer for sale" and he now intends to drive it forward under Joe Kinnear or some other desperate has-been.
Alan Shearer is all we've got left, surely Ashley must do the right thing now?
I suppose there are fools in all walks of life, just our luck we got the billionaire's village idiot.

Pete said:

Seems a local business man with middle east backing is looking at the books & doing due diligence with the prospect of bidding £90m for the TOON as we speak :)

Please, please, please let it NOT be Fat Freddy Shepard or we could be back to where we were 2 year ago :(

We need new blood running the club, a new ower, a new manager & a lot of new players willing to fight tooth & nail for the B&W stripes :)

Scotty said:

I think your comments about Joe Kinnear and the Nightmares about League One could very well come true if Fat Cashley is still owner come next season. The silence is defening from St James Park and the longer it goes on the more nightmares our true fans will have to endure. When I see our fellow Championship teams starting to annouce pre season fixtures the more worried I become about the lack of leadership and dircetion from our so called Owner and MD.These teams are already a month ahead of us and the longer this ordeal drags on the less prepared our team will be for the season long fight that is the championship. I myself are in the same boat as these would be new buyers from Dubai (Well apart from the billons they have and I don't) Do I part with my cash for a seson ticket??.
Would you invest your money in a rudderless ship that is sinking faster than the Titanic??.

Scotty said:

lambic peach said:

in response to Pete.. i wish we were in the sam place we were with Freddie as the boss... in the Premier league

lambic peach said:

I have to say that everything that stinks about football was in evidence at our last home game.... The bonnie electric signage around the touch lines that made it hard to concentrate on the game while advertising some BETTING agent gave me the pip. The continuous flashing of Hospitality packages and seat exchanges was driving me nuts while FULHAM were destroying our clubs EPL existence.... And to rub salt in... we unveiled our new seasons jersey so we could all go out and buy before we went down... Dont get me wrong, I will be happy to get rid of the current kit as we have barely won a match in two years wearing it, however, I could not believe the amount of the new shirts that were in the crowd for the game against VILLA... For gods sake people, buy the shirt when the owner changes, the current regime is a joke. At least our advertising hoardings will be the best in the championships. HWAY lads, get ready to play soon, or we will be rivalling Leeds for the best ground in league one.......

stevie said:

It's amazing Lee, you are actually starting to think like Ashley. I think you have worked out just what the bugger is up to.
I'm still waiting for his five year plan to kick in, after all we are the new Arsenal.

Gary said:

I agree entirely Luke. For a club of our size not to have a plan if we were to be relegated like we were nearly a fortnight ago is just stupid.

You have to prepare for every scenario and come February of this year when our form was poor, the thought must have occurred in Ashley and Llambias's minds that they needed to budget for the worst and ensure they renegotiated players contracts so we would not have such a huge wage bill when we unfortunately were relegated.

I fear that the sale of the club will destabilise us further. Alan needs to be appointed. Having Alan, a local hero and legend would attract buyers.

He is our best hope of us getting back up. Having Joe in would set us back as it would not motivate us as fans.

Our plan should be:
1. Confirm Alan Shearer as manager
2. Generate money from player sales, reduce the wage bill
3. Buy Cox, Beckford, Scotland and Fox who would bring pace and power to our team.

M. Sebastian T. said:

Looking ahead the prospects are not too good because there is still much poison in the Toon system. I don't expect promotion next season. The top clubs will likely be Sheffield Utd, Ipswich, WBA, Reading, Derby and Bristol City -- probably finishing in about that order. Toon will probably again be competing to stay up but this time against teams like Doncaster Rovers, Peterborough and Scunthorpe.

The stay in the wilderness could be a long one. A whole generation of players and fans will probably have to get use to being a second tier club.

As Steve Bruce has been wise enough to recognise, Sunderland will be the only true footballing power from the NE for a long time.

bob h said:

The way the club are looking to pin the blame for Shearer not getting the job on the banks makes me think Jokin's comeback isn't far off

langwaydoon said:

I said earlier in the season i thought there was a chance MA would take us down to clear the dead wood from the books.. run the club in the CCC with 40k supporters and a reduced wage bill.. even as i wrote it i thought its was stupid to even think it. but here we are.! however it looks like he has totally lost his bottle, doesn't know what to do next and can't find anywhere to hide. "God help NUFC!"

"going down is the new staying up!"

brian from durham said:

Lee, it was not a nightmare, but a very likly plan "B" for Ashley if he doesn't get the selling price he is after. I believe Kinnear is already to come back on a weekly/monthly contract as before, and this will be the final act in our freefall following Leeds.

andy said:

I think Shearers demands are unrealistic in many ways. He has every right to agree a budget - eg we will run a £10m loss next year and ask MA or the new owners to foot that bill.

But control over who leaves - is not realistic. The reality is that everyone can leave - the only issue is price, from £10m for bassong to a commitment to pay half his wages for Duff/barton.

As for incoming budget - it is again dependent on who will by at what price.

I still think there is a lack of reality as to our current situation. We need to take our wage bill down from £72m to £27m.

Unfortunately Big Al needs to take the job - and the nature of football contracts means he will not have control over who comes and goes. The existing players and the banks will have more control.

If Shearer loves the club as much as he says - why would he not be prepared to do a job JK would. At £27m that will still be the biggest wage bill in the Coca Cola.

andy said:

As for incoming budget - it is again dependent on who will by at what price.

Arty Bucco said:

andy, you don't know what Alan Shearer's demands are, he has said he has made none and only asked that certain conditions are met. Stop regurgitating ill informed media speculation man! Black propaganda coming from the fat CONT roller.

John said:

andy can you explain what demands of alan shearer's are unrealistic? the whole situation is what i feared and posted on here, if i'm not mistaken, i'm sure it was you andy, who said are you having a laugh John, when i said kinnear would return, and shearer not stay. This is typical Ashley, and what annoys me, is the most important people, the fans are left to wonder for over 2 weeks, what the hell is going on, not one insider at SJP can make a statement, all we get is the bank is going over the finances, shearer is out the country, where following the leeds route to the T, you got to ask, where or when is it going to end?

Eldorado Argentina said:

Lambic Peach how right you are. Modern marketing is ruining the game.

And Amigo Sy from earlier re the Black and White strip and all that cash in your spare trousers - you're absolutely right - that's why I doubted that I would be around to see any change.

It is not just emotion, is it? It's also about the many short-sighted marketing interests.

What do the fans want and what brings in more money - a team in black and white in the lower divisions, or, a team in mainly solid red, blue or yellow, playing poetic football, in the Premier league?

Poetic football wearing black and white will always be an unnecessary uphill struggle.

It is all about PERFORMANCE EDGE.

And it is not just me who appreciates how vision matters. Some time ago, our friend Fergie appeared to be making excuses over losing in grey - he brought in vision and cognition experts and .... they told him he was right!

TO BE SEEN or NOT TO BE SEEN that is the question.

Surely AS always looked to see where the goalkeeper was before he let fly. And Peter B looked to see where his mates were before he passed so sublimely. And why is Federer wearing his twin colour greenish blue top in Paris. Could it be that the back walls of the court are the same colour.

Yes others at the top have got the message too and are taking more care in choosing the design of their second strips and to a lesser extent of their goal- keeping jerseys . Has anybody any idea who has the final say at Newcastle? I bet it's the marketing people.

When in previous posts I mentioned the distinctive yellow and blue of Lucozade I had not realized how tied up the company were with both the club and the Chronicle. I have just come across the following - in retrospect a possible 10 on the Percy Gonad scale of hilarity, if it wasn’t so serious?

"Mar 25 2009 By Evening Chronicle.

YOUR Chronicle has joined forces with Lucozade Sport to celebrate their relationship with Newcastle United, and are giving away 3 pairs of VIP tickets to the Barclays Premier League match against Chelsea on Saturday, April 4 at St James' Park Stadium. This is your chance to see the Magpies to take on one of Europe's best teams...in style!

Lucozade Sport has been fuelling Barclays Premier League players for over 15 years and has been proven to give footballers at all levels of the game the performance edge – so whether you're Barclays Premier League or Sunday League, Lucozade Sport can help you raise your game!"

I repeat:
“proven to give footballers at all levels of the game the performance edge”

So the Chronicle agrees “performance edge” is important. So that’s a start.
On the other hand, does anybody know how it was PROVEN?

And does this now explain why in the very first picture I saw of AS as manager (on the BBC webpage at halftime), he was clutching a so obvious Lucozade bottle (and wearing a grey suit to boot.)? It wasn’t up for long (no advertising on BBC perhaps) but what an omen!.

Yes Sy, the chances of change are very very slim. Only if AS or perhaps Sir Bobby or KK AND the Chronicle are convinced that black and white stripes are a handicap, sufficient for the team to lose its performance edge, will change ever happen.

I am afraid the overt commercialization of sport has in many ways been its ruin and United is a prime example.

Yes, I know without such commercialization I wouldn’t have seen so much of the “team” live on Argentine TV, however painful it has been. But I also know I won’t any longer and it may be some time before I do so again.

Again, all the very best Lee in these stressful times.

Sean Brown said:

i can't understand why at the time and still now, stupid newcastle fans beleive it was the right thing to sack Sam Allardyce - that was the worst mistake the club has made in years, he would have built solid foundations and there is no way we would have been relagated with him, he is a top manager, but the fans are so thick they just don't get it.....

Sy said:

Senor Eldorado, while I appreciate the commitment you have to your cause, the main point which jumps to my attention is that in looking for reasons for NUFC's escalating failure in recent years, the colours we play in shouldn't come anywhere close to being culpable.

No, in fact we'd been a very solid top-flight presence for 16 years in black and white, and while there's no doubt we've been sliding since the highs of the Champions League/UEFA Cup days, there are a great many reasons why our demise has occurred, and I'm afraid I just don't buy your argument that it's down to our black and white stripes. I do acknowledge that the science you speak of has become relevant in the world of sport, but the reasons for NUFC's problems lay much further up the line than this.

Personally, although I'm still hurting from our relegation, I'm also looking forward to the opportunity to recreate a squad which has been stagnating for some time. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the players earning £50k+ per week who have barely shown a decent 45 minutes of action in all their time here. This is an absolute joke and has been for a long time.

For me, our rebuild begins with recruiting upcoming, hungry, energetic players who throughout their fledgling careers would've jumped at the chance to join Newcastle United and so appreciate the opportunity they have here - just like the ones who joined our reserves because they knew what a club we are and who should now get their chance in the first team. No more stupid wages thrown at last-chancers or high-price gambles from overseas leagues. No more being held to ransom by other European clubs because of the reputation we've built that "Newcastle will pay anything". (Boumsong, Luque, Coloccini, Xisco all go to prove that theory.)

Determination, commitment & professionalism - they are the traits which will determine whether we build our way back to the Premier League and where this club should be...The biggest concern at this point is sorting out the ownership/management future, and unfortunately, at this point it seems that it's anyone's guess.

Curly Bill said:

Sean Brown, you start your post off with "stupid Newcastle fans", then later say "there is no way WE would have been relegated" ?. I take it your not a "stupid Newcastle fan" then? If you had ever attended a game when big Sam was in charge you'd know why he was unpopular with the fans, we were a shambles, with better players than we have now.
With him at the helm we would have been relegated twelve months ago. He was only brought in by Freddy Shepherd because he and his agent son would play ball with Freddy's method of "player acquisition".
He was sacked because it suited Ashley, the fans don't do the hiring and firing, they just turn up game after game hoping for a team on the pitch that will give them something to cheer about.
You've read somewhere that Newcastle fans are thick so you thought you'd have your two-penneth, as if you, yourself had some kind of brilliant insight.
Don't mistake the paying Newcastle fans for the MingMongs that Sky Sports buttonhole outside Shearers Bar whenever there is breaking news.
You are a child.

pedi said:

Will AS be manager, won't AS be manager? Silence descends from St.james and once again the clubs biggest asset are left in the dark. Questions with never any answers.

No wonder people are coming up with lots of speculation because we have nothing at all to go on, no insight into whats happening, not for the first time is it though!

Is our club being 'prostituted' around asia or where ever by ashley, seemingly acting as our pimp? If, according to some reports thats what he's doing. Perhaps its ashleys way of negotiating or selling of the club thats putting wouldbe buyers off, who knows? All speculation.

I don't want ashley running our club, its farcical at just how ridiculous things have got. We are now a true example of how not to run a football club.
I really hope that in a couple of years time we are not the new benchmark for how far a club of our size can fall.

Neil Gilholm said:

We've had years of being the laughing stock of football, its like a comedy of errors, whoever buys the club must ensure that things are done different this time. Employ Big Al as manager he's the only one who can pull us out of the mess we are in, if not we will become another Leeds, and dont think 'we are a big club' and it will not happen to us, cos it is already begining. If we dont get it sorted now once and for all we're finished.

Mexicola said:

To the jokers saying we should change the strip from black and white stripes - one word. Ready? Here it comes....

....Juventus.

Shush now. Run along and play with yer crayons.

Restless Native said:

"... Kinnear did OK as boss ..."

WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING LEE???

I honestly don't know if Shearer's the right man for the job. Personally, I would have preferred it if we'd gone all out to get Bruce ourselves ... but he's sold his soul to the devil now. But at least Shearer has the club in his heart and won't take any nonsense from the idiots that are in charge of our asylum.

I also know if it's not Shearer, then any degree of optimism we might retain - and that isn't much - will vanish immediately. Brink JFK back and the club is heading for oblivion. I don't know one fan who wants him at the helm and I don't don't know one fan who would renew their season ticket if he's there.

Oh, and yes, I was one of the "stupid fans" who wanted Fat Sam out - I didn't want him here in the first place - I can't abide arrogant, deluded idiot. But ... maybe he was building for the future. Maybe he did have a 10 year plan. And maybe, in hindsight we should have stuck with him - if for no other reason than it would have meant Ashley couldn't bring Wise in.

But anyone who thinks Fat Sam being sacked was our biggest mistake is wrong ...

With Keegan, we were playing decent football again. With Keegan, the players were playing above themselves - which is just as well! With Keegan, we would have finished top 10, possibly higher. The mistake was bringing in Wise and undermining Keegan's position.

If Ashley is serious about selling, it needs to happen fast. If he isn't, and this is all another charade, then NUFC may not exist as we know it this time next year.

We thought relegation was bad. It might just have been the start ...

Scotty said:

I have been hearing reports on the local radio that we might have a potential buyer for our club. I'm praying that it's not more press patter and these new investors from the north east have nothing to do with Fat Freddy. We need to get rid of this clown Ashley before he heaps more misery on our club and fans. I think we will only open up an old can of worms if freddy returns and I can't see Mary Poppins AKA Shearer rushing back from his holidays to work for Sheppard can you??

Eldorado Argentina said:

MO and BOBBY STOKOE.

Amigo Sy Thanks for reading my piece and for your usual constructive comments.

I totally AGREE
"there are a great many reasons why our demise has occurred," and the lack of professionalism and dedication and exhorbitant players salaries
are indeed high amongst them.

Oh for the days when Bobby Stokoe lived in a small semi off Severus Road in Fenham. and led a happy family life.

Perhaps the club should put Blue (or dare I say Black and White) Plaques on such former? club houses reminding people of our community heroes of the distant past.

And perhaps as part of their initiation into the club, rather than just being paraded wearing the latest strip, all new players should be obliged to take a tour of such houses and stand before them in silent contemplation.

Perhaps they should be reminded too that as with the law and MP's it is not just the contract but the spirit of the contract and being part of the community that matters.

Which somehow reminds me of MO and his problems. "No not the strip again" do I hear you say.

But MO is no Peter Crouch is he?. If the little red spot on his shirt (so clearly visible when he's modelling off the pitch) and the black and white stripes had been reversed when he was playing, how much easier it might have been for our midfield (so much criticised )to pick the little man out.

Sy and Lee the Black and white stripes are indeed JUST ONE REASON AMONGST MANY for our demise. How marginal is a matter for discussion.

But remember as I described in my first contribution (Blog May 24)it was not just one goal against Villa that was required but ONE GOAL in ANY 1 of 24 GAMES last season.

How much difference could just one more accurate pass or shot could have made?

Interstingly, England seems to be catching on. Yes they won in mainly white. But have you noticed how the amount of the "red of 66" is quietly increasing and in training too.

As for Argentina, that's another story. But they too may be lacking that performace edge!
Best EA

Peterhutch said:

In truth, the decline started when Sir Bobby, who was successful, understands football and loves NUFC was sacked....a dumb decision by greedy ignoramuses. Life has just got worse since then.
Shearer isn't yet in the same league as SBR, but is the best and only option.

Dave Owens said:

Good to see the Chronic giving space to the thoughts of Joey Barton and Alan Smith this past week. Which wasters will it be next? Ryan Taylor and Xisco. Give me a break.

Dave Owens said:

andrew said:

Shearer needed 6 points to stay up-he got five.

What is it with you lot?Get a manager who has some experience of managing and has the club at heart

Dave Owens said:

"Get a manager who has some experience of managing and has the club at heart"

You mean Steve - cut me open and I bleed black and white - Bruce?!

Joey Zazza said:

"BTW, in truth, it started when SBR tried to replace Nobby with Lee Bowyer and then got rid of Gary Speed."

EH? Bobby Robson had no say in the buying & selling of players, that was the problem. Shepherd was doing that to suite his own agenda, therefore undermining Bobby and taking away his authority with the players. Hence the antics of Dyer and Bellamy.
Shame on you.

Fran Dolarhyde said:

Watch out for The Profitable Group coming over the horizon. The main guy there is a Newcastle nut and has been all his life. They also have Steve McMahon and Kenny Dalglish (great friend of Alan Shearer) in their camp to give advice. Rumour in Asia is that they are preparing a bid.

djc said:

We need a buyer and desperately , at the minute we are drifting in no direction , but probably heading for the rocks if we're not careful . Quite clearly Ashley has washed his hands of the club and there is no chance of any further investment from him . The problem is , the longer this takes the mores desperate we will be in trying to sign players . I believe the fire sale is about to start and Ashley will pocket the income from the following , Jonas , Bassong , Martins and that's without considering the rubbish we need to get rid of . By my reckoning we could bring in about £25 million in total which I'm sure Ashley would welcome . I can't see that being put back into the club so whoever does take over is going to have to work quickly , even perhaps making their decision on a manager before they take over and working with them on who they want before everything is signed and sealed . The more this carries on tjhe more I genuinely believe it is Ashley's spiteful intent to bring this club to it's knees. He should never be allowed near ANY football club ever again .
With regards to the fellow from Argentina, and the change of Black and White , sorry but we should never change our first kit colours . However I do think we should give some consideration to our second kit . Why not revert to the Brazil kit of the early 70's , nice and bright and easy to pick out . How visible were the Fulham team recently. Let's hope this mess is sorted ASAP

bob said:

I can't believe all these people who say Shearer is the only salvation for NUFC.
HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE !!!!!
If you went into hospital for an operation, who would you choose to operate on you, an experienced surgeon who's performed the operation many times, or a former porter, who left a couple of years ago and has never even held a scalpel, but was really popular with the nurses ?
Nobody in their right mind would choose the inexperienced porter, but if they did, the result would be predictable and deserved.
Shearer has already tried his hand with the scalpel, and the patient died. So what's the solution, give him a bigger and better knife ? I don't think so.

Dave Owens said:

Shame on me? Why? So everything that went wrong under Robson was Fat Fred's fault and everything that went right was down to SBR? Do you apply the same logic to Souness or Roeder (or Gullitt?)? It takes nothing away from SBR's considerable achievements by stating I think he lost the plot towards the end. Besides, hasn't he said he wanted rid of Nobby because he could no longer go past the full back? Yet he replaced him with Bowyer, who kicked the full back out of the way!

Chris Gray said:

Amazing. Just read this blog and found that someone thinks the same as I have done for years about the black and white stripes. They are awful - I thought it was me getting old and blind but at St James I struggle to make out the players at the far end (Leazes) because they are up against a background of black and white (shirts, scarves and the whole colour scheme). It is noticeably much better away - I saw the Ipswich game at Portman Road a few years ago and our players stood out well against the blue backdrop. When did a team in stripes last win a major trophy in England? Can't think of one, although I'm sure someone will put me right (don't for goodness sake mention 1973). Remember when Gullit insisted on white socks because he reckoned all succesful teams wore them? Actually that was nonsense, but I honestly think there is something in this general idea - although it has to be said that is not why we were relegated. We were relegated because we are rubbish.

milner&heskey said:

alreet pets, nice one for owen, 16mil!
how much for marints&Taylor?

howay!

Brian from Durham said:

Now that Ashley has set the selling price at £100mill.,selling as a going concern, he should not be allowed to sell the stock,ie the players. That should be the concern of the new owners and manager, who may wish to keep some players for next season.He is so vindictive he could sell Ranger and Carroll at a pound each, and Bassong to S/land for a fiver, just like his T shirts.