Shearer lifts the lid on Toon managerial situation

By Lee Ryder on Jul 26, 09 07:02 PM

ALAN Shearer tonight finally broke his silence on the Newcastle United crisis by claiming: "I'd take the job now."

Big Al has not spoken on the record since the 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa which sent the Magpies crashing into the Championship.

And on the back of the shameful 6-1 defeat at Leyton Orient in East London yesterday fans chanted the name of Shearer at Sir Bobby Robson's big match between West Germany and England at St James's Park.

Shearer said: "I want it sorted out as quickly as anyone else does.

"I'm a fan, just like anyone else.

"I don't like to see the situation the club is in.

Reports on Friday had suggested Shearer was ready to withdraw his interest in the job but with Chris Hughton struggling in charge of the first team on a caretaker basis, Shearer has offered the current regime a way of ending the misery on Tyneside.

Speaking on reports he's thrown in the towel, Shearer says: "I don't know where that came from. It certainly wasn't from myself."

And with talk that the Profitable Group in Singapore and the Shepherd family would appoint Shearer, the former number 9 commented on the potenial sale of the club.

He said: "If it's right, yes.

"Everyone's telling me there is people in to buy the club. If that's the case, then great."

Yet Shearer could shed no further light on the uncertain situation at Gallowgate.

He went on: "I know as much as you do.

" I'd dearly love it to be sorted out one way or the other - the club needs to move forward.

"I'm the same as anyone else - I'm in limbo."

londontoon said:

MA is not signing Shearer simply to try and hurt the toon -supporters, players and club. he is simply a weak fool.. we'll never give up and neither will Shearer.. MA has been a fool from that start and he is now just confirming it -well done Mike Trashley!

Dave Robson said:

IT'S ABOUT TIME EVERYONE REALISED THIS COWBOY IS TAKEN US INTO ADMINISTRATION.

BigAl said:

Lee, how exactly did Shearer 'Lift the Lid' with his comments?

You wrote: "Shearer could shed no further light on the uncertain situation at Gallowgate." Then you quoted Shearer as saying: "I know as much as you do."

What was actually revealed in the interview, that lifted the lid on the situation? As far as I can see .... NOWT!

mallorcamag said:

HEEEELLLLPPPP!

mallorcamag said:

Seriously though we are in big big trouble at the moment. It has been reported that we have a £40 Million overdraft facility with the bank, what hasn't been said is that we have exceeded this limit (allegedly!). We have wages to pay this Friday of over £5 Million and I don't see the Fat Man paying this out of his own pocket.

If we don't have a buyer or a serious expression of intent to the bank by the end of the week we could be calling the administrators in sooner than we think.

I for one would welcome FFS back with open arms which I never thought I would but anythings better than what we've gor at the minute.

Lee said:

Londontoon - MA can't install AS as manager while the club is up for sale. He has to sell what was advertised. It would be like buying a house and then finding out it came with a lodger! As painful as it would be, it may be best if MA did take the club off the market, install AS as manager and let him sell and buy players to at least give us a fighting chance in a fortnight's time.

Toon Graeme said:

Rumours on the boards that ALL nufc staff are called to meeting at SJP at 330pm.

I personally thinks its absolute rubbish.

On the off chance it isnt - Lee do your thing bud!!

londontoon said:

Lee

londontoon said:

Lee
Every interested party (if they really do exist) has apprently said they want Shearer -PR wise and financially they have to appoint him. MA is the sole owner he could give him a monthly rolling contract -care taker roll until its sorted.. MA can do what he likes. Having AS as manager within the sale of the club would be minor to the debt which is hanging there. We're talking a couple of million not 10's of millions! Shearer was already within the club he could of extended his contract, there woudl of been no change..

brian from durham said:

Another day, everybody having their say, everybody just rehashing what has been said for months,there is nothing NEW to say. All this cannot be just stupidity on MA's part,it is deliberately done to hammer us, and there is nothing we can do. R.I.P. N.U.F.C.

Lee said:

Londontoon,

When the club was put on the market, AS was not the manager. Therefore, until MA either sells up or takes us off the market, there can be no movement on this issue - you have to sell what is advertised in the brochure. It's a matter of business law. We can all point to what should have been done at the end of the season, but as MA has proven time and time again, he is highly skilled at not doing the right thing! It does make you wonder how on earth he ever acquired his fortune, as he looks like he couldn't run a bath!

rob.dowling said:

If there is no buyout imminent for gods sake give AS a rolling contract for the next couple of months.It sounds like he wants the job, potential buyers want him, we want him, so whats the problem?

londontoon said:

Lee;
ok but you're splitting hairs, he wasn't exactly in charge at that moment but you can't tell me that Ashley hadn't already decided to sell the club if went down and already made a call to SP? The whole thing stunk from the start and everyone knew it!

I was wondering could Shearer go down there free of charge? without a contract and coach the players? its not like he needs the money..

I will add something, whether this turns out to be anything or not(?), i have a client (who is a share holder in a london club), tells me a friend of his is very interested in buying the club, not alone but he is seriously considering getting involved. He gave me a name, which i will not add, as it could just be pipe dreams however I will say this man is a surgeon. lets see if anything happens and you can buy me a pint for the exclusive if it does..

stephen said:

Probably a load of old cobblers but heard that Graham Wyley is selling assets in the USA to buy the club.

On another note I was at the Sir Bobby Robson game the other day what a true gentlemen I am so pleased that he was able to attend the match

Its also worth noting that MA since he joined the club has sold off the conference department for 30m and all of the match day stewarding. So question is just how many staff does the club still employ ?

Finally for all those saying we should have Freddie again do you all have really short memories it was him that nearly sank the club not to mention sacking Sir Bobby....the blokes will never be welcome back in the club as far as I am concerned

Lee said:

The transfer embargo has now been lifted - this would indicate one of two things: 1) we're getting close to a deal and the potential buyer(s) have given their blessing to the sale of 'assets'; or 2) MA is preparing to take the club off the record. I'm 80% sure that it's the first option, but not happy that Keegan is being mooted as a possible manager. Still, can't have everything and for now I'll settle for getting rid of Laura Ashley!!

londontoon said:

DL and MA can talk about putting an embargo on the club but that was a total load of rubbish these people especially DL just say things and they think everyone will believe them. the bottom line is any of them can leave for the right price. the problem is most of them think they can find another club and the agents will keep telling them this however in reality we have a load of over priced players who have proved they are not good enough and they continue to prove this -nobody wants them or the debt that comes with them.. it seems that no matter who they play the attitude is all wrong and we keep getting stuffed. its time for change among the players and if that means bringing the younger players in then get them in quick ready for the new season. the senior players have proved they dont want to play here... its wrotten to the core!