Ashley: I'm not an expert

By Lee Ryder on Oct 18, 09 01:02 PM

Mike Ashley's tenure in charge of Newcastle United continues to go from bad to worse.

Once again using the Sunday Times to do his talking rather than local newspapers or local radio, Ashley has hinted he is ready to stay on as owner as Newcastle and appoint Chris Hughton as boss.

But even though by his own admission he reveals he is not an expert in football he will be the man who has the final say on buying players, no doubt with help from outside influences.

Well if those influences are anything like those of Tony Jimenez or Dennis Wise, then United fans could be set for more pain.

In Ashley's latest interview, he said: "I have to put £20m a year into the club -- I spend more than every other fan put together puts into the club each year. If you can't pay up front to buy the club, you can't afford it.

"Chris (Hughton) deserves a shot at the title -- he has done a great job. But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.

"Of course I regret it (buying NUFC).

"I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short."

Oh, and anybody wondering where we are in terms of the latest regarding the sale towards the club it has emerged that Barry Moat needs £40million more very quickly in order to do so.

Ashley also said over the weekend: "Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years. If he wants to buy the club, he has got a one off opportunity to come up with the cash, £80 million up front."

BATTY said:

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB

londontoon said:

its true though, if you haven't got the money you can't buy it!!! simple as that i'd love to have it too but i'm 80m short ok well 100m but if i had 80m it would enable me to find the rest a lot easier. so Moat is 40m short, so really hes not much closer to buying the club than i am! its going to be really hard for me to find 40m what with christmas coming up and i would dare say Moat is fiding it hard too to come up with 40m for exactly the same reasons.. even if i only buy the kids presents this yr and not adults i'm still going to be short -same again as Moat! life is just so unfair... Dear Santa, i've been a really good boy, could I please have 1. A SJP football Club at scale 1:1. thanks LT (what do you mean no chance, and that goes for moaty to!?)

Robert Smith said:

Lee - In the Evening Chronicle last Thursday you said that NUFC and Notts Forest were teams that were living on past European glories!!! Even with an extremely vivid imagination - how can you compare NUFC winning the Fairs Cup with Clough's success at Forest??? He won 2 European Cups - 1 League Championship - 4 League Cups. NUFC only qualified for the Fairs Cup under the 1 club per city rule. Yes - NUFC did extremely well to win this trophy but it hardly compares with what Clough achieved.

Ryder's reply: Thanks Robert, it was Bob Moncur who compared the two clubs in his weekly column.
That said I agree with him on one score that both are big clubs in terms of stature and reputation.
But you are right Cloughie wins hands down on the trophy count.

Johnny said:

Is there any way we can get this clown out of Newcastle? Is there anything we can do to get rid of him? We all kicked off about "keegangate" but what has happened since is far far worse.
We must be able to do something. This guy is playing us like fools. We need to start some sort of rally, some sort of protest. This is about saving our club. Ashley needs to have no other option but to lower his asking price and move on. Not come out with the drivel i read over the weekend. I am really angry.

toonrobba said:

Barry Moat... more like Barry Skint to me!!

TrevorA said:

So he puts more money into the club than all the fans put together?! Utter nonsense! With 23 home league games and an average crowd of around 40k, an average ticket price of only £22 will give in excess of £20 mill. Mike's best (attempts at finances) coming up "woefully short" again, I think! This total disrespect of the fans/(aka "paying customers") makes me think only a total boycott of SJP would make the penny drop for this guy.

mark douglas said:

He certainly does not give the same percentage of his wealth to the club as the fans do, and I see he did not include travel expenses for games and merchadise we spend our money on. Get out you muppet!!!

Steve said:

Boycott - don't give Ashley any more of your money.

Andrew Davis said:

Lee,

Why on earth would a guy who says he is not an expert and regrets buying our club stay on and take our club off the market.

Its plain crackers and he will not take the club off the market at all.

He will snap the hands off someone when he gets the 80 million or whatever.

Make's no sense and wait until we win/lose the title.

Even promotion is a long reach to me and of course we all hope we will, but i can see another season in the championship as you can imagine how much the club would be worth if we don't go up at the 1st asking.

We all need a sense of perspective and he (ASHLEY) will leave and i think sooner rather later.

I for one do not the Legend back as i prefer someone with experience and Mr Shearer is not that at all and i get why you Lee and many other fans want him there but he was tactically naive most of the time and we need a leader and a coach.

I have no idea who that should be but once i have fancy i will be in touch.

Andrew

puretoon said:

I'm wondering why you, Lee, insist on stating in todays Chronicle that Hughton's got the job when he hasn't-yet. He's still in talks just now so can still fall through. AND Moat's still talking to Seymore Peirce trying to get the funds from USA backers asap. So it's not all cut and dry as you seem to make out,

liam turner said:

We realy need to boycott the club but we also need to support our boys what on earth can we do????