Would you bet against Newcastle United now?

By Lee Ryder on Feb 27, 10 11:47 PM

Well, would you bet against Newcastle United now?

Despite a long barren run on the road, the Magpies ended it in real style today with a great all round team performance at Watford.

The scoreline may look slender but really the game should have been done and dusted long before the injury time strike from Will Hoskins.

Andy Carroll is on fire at the moment and after setting up the first for Fabricio Coloccini and then heading home a second, his 11th of the season, it was enough to seal the win.

And so as the Newcastle players went different directions after the game with some due on international duty next week.

All that was left to do was take a look at the league table.

With Newcastle EIGHT clear of Nottingham Forest with a game in hand and still to play the tricky Trees at home, automatic promotions should be assured in the final 13 games.

I do say should.....

For updates daily on Newcastle and the madness of following the Toon follow me on Twitter lee_ryder

Maggiepie said:

I WOULD bet against them! Then if the worst happens, I'd at least have some winnings to compensate for the disappointment and if they go up I won't care about losing a few quid. Anybody know if there are any odds on offer?
I nearly did it back in that Keegan season when we were top and still in 3 cups but couldn't find a bookie then who could quote - I'm sure it's different now.

Stevie in Iraq said:

Watched the match on Middle East TV yesterday, and it was a very workmanlike, professional approcah to the game by CH and the team. Yes, they're not exciting to watch away from home, but are set up to score a goal or two and then hold on to that lead. I was particularly impressed with the teams discipline after a card happy ref was dishing out cards unnecessarily early on which had the likes of Nolan and Williamson treading on eggshells. But they kept they're composure, and were happy to let Watford have as much possession as they wanted in the centre thrid of the pitch as they new the back 4, Harps and Smudge had the beating of them in our last third (not to mention Carroll and Jonas who grafted back all afternoon). With the players coming back from injury and our free flowing home form that terrifies opposing teams and solid away set up, we have set ourselves up nicely for what will still be a tough run in with teams scrapping for their lives at the bottom and teams fighting for a pay off place still to play. All in all, full credit to CH and the team for keeping their heads the last few weeks when all around them people were starting to lose theirs after a couple of unconvincing away peformances (just 1 defeat). And full credit to the supporters who continue to turn up en-mass at home and away to lift the team. .....Is it too much to hope for the Mackems coming back down under the stewardship of Mrs Doubtfire in May as well????? Come on Fulham :)....HWTL!!

bob harvey said:

I know you can only have eleven on the pitch and the manager has to get the right balance in every match, but I bet other teams would love to have four of the best players in the Championship just about ready to come back: Jose Enrique, Lovenkrands, Routledge, Barton.

bob harvey said:

Mal said:

Maggiepie

I suggest you go to the betfair site where you can 'lay' newcastle to get promotion at 2/13. In other words if you put £20 on them not to get promotion, and they do, then you would only lose about £3. If they fail to get promotion then you would win £20.
Sometimes they have offers for new customers so , if you aren't one already, you may even be able to get a free bet.

On this occasion I won't wish you the best of luck

toongonebad said:

well in the last 15-20mins we seemed to give up, so if that happens over the last stage of the season i wouldn't bet that they will defo be promoted.

nothing has been said about the back four almost coming to blows or the way they just seemed to stop playing for each other, including the subs who looked like the weren't even warmed up!?

however watford were poor, they may of had plenty of the posession but it was in their own half and they couldn't do anything with it. if we hadn't of stopped playing after 70mins they might as well not have bothered turning up for the second half.

no i would never bet against the toon, but if i didn't support them i might...