Plymouth would deserve to be a World Cup host

By Lee Ryder on Apr 21, 10 10:49 AM

Now that the dust is settling after Monday night and Newcastle United's title winning performance at Home Park, it's still worth repeating some of the praise that has came the way of Plymouth Argyle Football Club in the last couple of days.

I understand that some Plymouth fans weren't too happy about their club playing We Are The Champions followed by Local Hero and the Blaydon Races.

In the face of relegation and after what Newcastle endured last term, going down is a sickly feeling.

But as far as Plymouth fans are concerned, I think that your club done the right thing by acting is such a dignified manner with the music and the banner before hand.

We can all learn something from that.

As already stated the welcome Newcastle fans got in Plymouth was nothing short of sensational and a great way to go out (apart from QPR of course) in the Championship.

Kevin Nolan summed it up when he said that some of the welcomes for Newcastle hadn't been so nice and I agree with that.

You expect home sides to make it tough for you in football but there was still something refreshing about Plymouth's attitude and their team still started the game well enough and gave it their all - they were just beaten by a better side on the night.

I hope that Plymouth can 'Do a Newcastle' next season and bounce back first time.

And after seeing how well the Plymouth fans supported their team, all through the season on long haul trips to boot, if England get the nod for the World Cup I could not think of a more worthy bunch of people to be hosts, well apart from the Geordies of course!

Football needs the Plymouth Argyles of the world and if they do get the nod for World Cup duty, I don't think this will be the last success story about the way the Pilgrims go about their business.

rob said:

Great credit to the plymouth fans and club,Six of went to the game and couldnt ask for a better reception and result,Hope they get back up next year

LN2MAG said:

They are real football fans supporting a real football club, just like ourselves. A great number of people in that area jump on the Liverpool, Man Ud, Chelsea etc bandwagon and don't support their local team. I remember in the 70'S Man Utd played some "Home" games at Home Park because of a ban from Old Trafford caused by their hooligan elements and had no problem filling the ground, most of the fans actually lived in the South West, which is disgraceful. The Plymouth bloggs are full of comments from Toon fans expressing their thanks and appreciation for Monday night. I agree it would be a great world cup host city and I hope Argyle come straight back up next season.

dave said:

A world cup game at plymouth you are totally clueless ryder.

Ryder's reply: No Dave but you must have had your head in the sand, after all Plymouth were named as a contender to be host back in December last year along with: Birmingham – Villa Park; Bristol – New Ashton Vale Stadium; Leeds – Elland Road; Liverpool – Anfield or New Anfield; London – Wembley, Emirates Stadium, New White Hart Lane or Olympic Stadium; Manchester – City of Manchester Stadium, Old Trafford; Milton Keynes – Stadium MK; Newcastle – St James' Park; Nottingham – New stadium; Plymouth – New Home Park; Sheffield – Hillsborough; Sunderland – Stadium of Light

Matty M said:

As a Plymouth fan I was proud of both sets of fans, and just proves that sportsmanship and respect is still alive in footy. It was great to see some positive press for a sport I love.

To be honest the Toon fans I have met both at the game and during life in general have been great, fanatical in support but with a great sense of humour even in the face of adversity so good on the Toon, best of luck in the Premiership. Perhaps we will meet in the cup competitions soon

Lucky Pedro said:

In the spirit of sportsmanship and the bond created by Plymouth's dignified approach, do you think the powers that be at St James's Park should be lobbied about arranging a pre-match friendly? I'm sure Plymouth could do with the gate receipts

keir said:

surely a pre season friendly is the way to go....and if they have earned that much respect from within our corridors of power surely a club as passionate as plymouth are an ideal club to link with as a loanee club for our younger players hungry for first team football.
i honestly dont think enough credit for the dignity that plymouth showed us in the face of their clear devastation at being relegated!
i for one will be keeping a close eye on their results and hope they bounce straight back!

Lucky Pedro said:

Keir

Apologies - pre-season friendly is what I meant. Good point about a link as a loanee club