Geordie pride returns at international level

By Lee Ryder on Nov 16, 10 12:25 PM

Fabio Capello shuffled into his seat and announced: "Andy Carroll is OK, he is fit and he will start."

And at that moment the reality that Carroll is deemed good enough for England started to sink in.

It marks an incredible two year period for the Gateshead lad who was in the reserve team just two years ago and could walk down Northumberland Street almost unrecognised.

Not now, and just seconds after confirming Carroll will start against France, a word of warning over his private life followed from the former AC Milan and Real Madrid boss.

Capello also revealed that Carroll finally swayed his mind in the 1-0 win over Arsenal at the Emirates.

The big concern as a Newcastle fan is, that he has just picked up a groin injury against Fulham.

And having experienced international injuries for Toon players such as Michael Owen, that has to be a cause for concern.

Not least because Newcastle's season now hinges on the fitness of Carroll as he is now pivotal to the team's progress.

Nevertheless, Geordie pride returns at international level and for the first time since Alan Shearer's days leading the line for England, Newcastle fans have a REAL reason to take an interest in the progress of the national team.

Whumpie said:

Proud of wor Andy. Just don't get broke, lad - need you against Bolton!

Gondolfin said:

I might actually watch my first England game in 4 years...

Jonny Boy said:

Geordie pride? Are you sure Lee?

He's got the makings of a very good footballer, granted. He's got absolutely nothing at all to be proud of as a person though. I can't see how anybody with his record of violence could be said herlad the return of Geordie pride. Unless you think being a doog footballer is more important than being a decent human being.

I'm a Geordie. I'm not proud of Andy Carroll. I think the lad's a disgrace off the pitch. I just hope he comes to his senses before it's too late.

marcusTOON4LIFE said:

Jonny Boy, lighten up boy!! Give the lad a chance mate!! We all know waht has happened in his private life and a lot has been talked about. But FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! this guy is gonna be ingrained in the fabric of this club long after he retires. For all his shortcomings, he WILL be forgiven because of his sheer talent. IN A.C WE TRUST!!!!!

Jonny Boy said:

MarcusToon4Life ... there you go again, reinforcing the 'thick Geordie' stereotype with your mono-dimensional comments.

"He WILL be forgiven because of his sheer talent." Which means "as long as he scores goals he can slap around as many lasses and attack as many lads as he likes" does it? What if it was your daughter he bust the lip of?

Like I said. Half decent footballer. Waste of space as a human being. At the moment. Up to him to prove otherwise.

spence said:

It'll be good to have an interest in an england match again, but I hope this night does not herald the beginning of turbulent times for NUFC. It has been mooted, from some sources, that AC's international debut will turn out to be little more than an opportunity for some to prise the lad away from his hometown club and some paranoid part of me is similarly suspicious.
I know the lads no angel, (who is at 21?), but I am worried about the influence of the so called superstars in the england squad. This, together with his sudden rise to prominence may have negative consequences; from the fame going to his head, to having his head turned to a bigger club and bigger pay day- although my biggest concern is that our esteemed owner may feel it prudent to cash in sooner rather than later, (I have little doubt that he would eventually anyway), especially if some real billionaire benefactor offers stupid money for Carroll's services.
My concerns aside though- I do hope he has a good debut against the French and pray that my suspicions turn out to be unfounded

marcusTOON4LIFE said:

Jonny Boy, I suspect you didn't fully understand my comment or you just quick to dismiss my comments just beacuse it's me. I will explain to you for the last time and this time let it STAY in your head. I never said AC should be given the green light to keep getting involved into scrapes, I said we will forgive him of PAST shananigans. Never mentioned anything about forgiving him if he keeps getting caught out in the FUTURE.

toonagain said:

Yes well done AC. We now just need to see how he reacts. Hopefully he can keep his feet on the ground. We defo don't want to see any Dyeresk premadona stuff and fighting ont the pitch with team mates...