There'll only ever be ONE United to us

By Lee Ryder on Jan 6, 12 06:25 AM

Football has a funny way of spouting out unwritten rules - not least in the wacky world of sports journalism.

Not for the first time, I found myself involved in a conversation of just who gets the priority of being called United when two Uniteds play each other in the same game.

And not for the first time, the recurring discussion erupted in the Press room during a game between Newcastle United and Manchester United.

Don't forget, while St James' Park was enjoying one of its largest crowds of the season against Man U, those crowds were mirrored in the Press room as the national media descended to claim their seats in the Toon media suite.

Now call me cynical, but it doesn't seem so long ago that the Press room at Newcastle became deserted during our short but sweet stint in the Championship.

And the debate was hardly raging back then when the Uniteds of Scunthorpe, Peterborough and Sheffield visited Tyneside in the second tier.

Nevertheless, the unwritten rule for a lot of national newspaper counterparts, is that Man United are classed as United in copy, and the black and whites go as Newcastle.

Well not on my watch.

Just like St James' Park will always be St James' Park, there will only be one United.

And when the term United appears in the Chronicle, I'm pretty sure those who count most, know exactly who we're talking about!

Jackie W said:

Newcastle United means exactly that ! All of the City United in supporting its One club ! How can they be Manchester United when they clearly are not as they also have a Manchester City !!
All the Best Lee , Jackie

DormAnt said:

Nothing makes Newcastle United even more united than normal than beating Manchester United at St. James' Park.

Happy new year to one and all.

spence said:

Unlike the United of the Toon it's a bit rich for Manure supporters to claim to be 'The' United when their team plays at the opposite end of the country from where they were born. Not all NUFC followers are from Tyneside, granted (myself included as a Durham lad by birth), but our fan base is generally from the same region as our club : D

Steve said:

Newcastle United became Newcastle United because two Newcastle clubs united. I'm sure, but i'll have to check, that there are currently two Manchester clubs - which to me says that Manchester are not united at all....

Steve Foskett said:

As a geordie in the USA, I have the same issue here with everyone here that watches soccer, United means Man U, but not when I am in the conversation. Like you said, there is only one United and that is Newcastle! Very easy to jump on the bandwagon and follow Man U, but if you have personality and heart, Newcastle is the only United to follow! And I love that you also made the point about St. James, always has been and always will be St. James!

Steve Foskett said:

Gondolfin said:

Personally, I don't care that Man Utd get referred to as United. I'd hate for the Toon to be called United. We are Newcastle, the club represent the city. Man Utd would love to be known as the one club in Manchester so we should be happy that there is no confusion with us - there's only one Newcastle!

IMO5006 said:

My team has always been Newcastle (the one and only) - the fact that the team referred to as United is that one in red who let their own fans leave Old T 1st because they have farther to travel home than the visitors matters not a damn. Our support is from the heart - not from the TV!!

imo5006 said:

My team has always been Newcastle (the one and only) who cares if the one referred to as "United" is the one in red who lets their fans leave Old T 1st because they have farther to travel home? Our support comes from the heart - not the TV.

RAF MAG said:

Gents at the end of the day as many of you have already said we are united in our hearts and in our blood. Does it realy mean anything to us what the press say (no offence Lee) Most reporters say what they want to get paid, take the Man U match, appartently we were under seige...3-0 aint a seige in my books. Just keep you happy lee I have been impressed by alot of the articals you have written this season so far...good to see your black and White shining through again.

Jazz said:

It should go on how long you have been using the term. So Newcastle vs Sheffield Utd - United means Sheffield as the first club to ever use the term. Newcastle Utd vs any other Utd then United means Newcastle as the second ever club to use the term and the first (if not only) club to use it to indicate two teams coming together as one.