Norwich City 0 Newcastle United 0

By Lee Ryder on Jan 12, 13 04:50 PM

UNSETTLED FABRICIO Coloccini helped Newcastle United take a point at Carrow Road this afternoon.

The 0-0 draw with Chris Hughton's side halted a run of seven successive away defeats in all competitions.

But the outcome leaves Newcastle deep in the relegation battle in the Premier League after results elsewhere saw United slip further down the table.

However, the Magpies did put in a more spirited performance and recorded their first clean sheet on the road in the Premier League.

United started with a 4-2-3-1 formation at Carrow Road with Papiss Cisse restored to a central role.

It was lively opening from Newcastle with some crunching tackles coming in from Vurnon Anita and Fabricio Coloccini as they looked to stamp some much needed authority back into United's play.

There were few real clear cut chances in the opening exchanges of the contest but after 13 minutes Jonas crossed from the left only for his dinked centre to evade Papiss Cisse.

Anita then found Jonas three minutes later but the Argentine lashed it wide of the target.

Newcastle then forced Mark Bunn into a fine save with the Norwich keeper needing both hands to divert a Gabriel Obertan effort wide of the goal frame.

On 22 minutes Papiss Cisse hooked a shot at Bunn from just outside the box but the City keeper gathered comfortably.

Norwich looked threatening going forward and appeared to be targeting debutant Mathieu Debuchy down the right hand side without finding a way through.

City lacked sharpness in the final third in the first half an hour of the game.

And when Anthony Pilkington whipped in a cross from the left Robert Snodgrass could only head straight at Tim Krul.

Newcastle laboured away in the closing stages of the first half and forced a couple of corners.

But the quality from set-pieces was again sadly lacking and one Anita free-kick only found the side netting.

The two sides went in at the break on level terms after a scrappy first half.

The start of the second half was hardly anything to write home about for the travelling Geordies.

However, the introduction of Yohan Cabaye from the bench just before the hour mark lifted the strong away support from Tyneside.

Norwich created a half chance on 62 minutes when Pilkington hammered a shot high over the bar.

Moments later a weaving run then shot from Sylvain Marveaux flew over the top but the effort was never troubling Bunn.

Although on 67 minutes Krul could only watch on nervously as Russell Martin fired in a long range effort that clipped the outside of the post.
Skipper Coloccini attempted a crisp volley after connecting with Marveaux's corner but his effort missed the target with 10 minutes to go.

Yet a goal-line miss from Pilkington after Grant Holt's flick across the six yard box meant United survived a late scare.

NORWICH: Bunn; R Martin, Bassong, Turner, Garrido; Pilkington, Johnson, Tettey, Snodgrass, Hoolahan; Jackson (Holt 68)

UNITED: Krul, Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon, Jonas, Anita (Bigirimana 83), Perch, Marveaux, Obertan (Obertan 57), Cisse.

Attendance: 26,752


Lee Ryder

Lee Ryder - Proudly born and bred on Tyneside, the Chronicle's chief sports writer has followed the fortunes of the club over the last three decades as a Toon fan and football writer.

Latest Premier League video


Email alerts

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

In association with


Follow my RSS feed


Follow me on

Lee Ryder's Twitter


Sponsored Links